Author Topic: Building a Raised Bed in an Area with Lead Pellets  (Read 166 times)

Offline MissSentinel

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Building a Raised Bed in an Area with Lead Pellets
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
Hi all

I fired 80-100 rounds of lead pellets in my yard a couple months ago, and I neglected to pick them up. This spot in my yard is optimal for sunlight and I would like to build a few raised beds in this area.

Will the lead in these pellets seep into the soil and negatively affect my raised bed? I can try to remove whats left before I build the bed, but has the lead already seeped in? I really want to ensure that there is no lead in what I grow.

Thank you.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Building a Raised Bed in an Area with Lead Pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
Doing some searching, but I'm not finding anything definitive.  Looks like it depends on soil chemistry and what sorts of plants you grow.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Building a Raised Bed in an Area with Lead Pellets
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
This is a small enough number that you perhaps could use a metal detector to ferret them out.

I have no idea about your soil chemistry, but your county ag extension office could probably offer some knowledgeable advice.  In many soils, lead just forms an oxide coat and safely sits forever.  Think of all the WWI battlefields in France that are now cropland again.