Author Topic: Tariffs: current status  (Read 462 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Tariffs: current status
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
Reuters has a good summary of all the current tariffs imposed by the US on foreign imports and vice versa:

5/13/19: Factbox: Tariff wars - duties imposed by Trump and U.S. trading partners

(I'm posting this for financial planning purposes, not to start a discussion about trade war politics.)

Offline scoop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Tariffs: current status
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-media-is-lying-to-you-about-trumps-china-tariffs-2019-05-14?mod=brett-arends

Trade war ... not really... the real story.

Are you kidding me?

I’m used to partisan, inaccurate drivel from all sides these days, but the media’s coverage of President Trump’s tariffs and the so-called “trade war” takes some kind of cake.
There’s no serious doubt that some in the media would absolutely love to tank the stock market. They figure that would hurt Trump’s re-election chances in 2020. Monday’s stock market slump, which saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.82% tumble 2.4% and the Nasdaq Composite 3.4%, looked just like what the doctor ordered.

I write this, incidentally, as someone who is no fan of the president. But I remember when politics was supposed to stop at the water’s edge. And, anyway, facts are facts. Most of what the public is being told about these tariffs is either misleading or a downright lie. ...

Edited due to copyright issues -- please see here for Fair Use info.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:43:28 PM by Mr. Bill »