Author Topic: Do many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Do many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
It seems like much of the reading that I have seen on various preparedness forums and blogs gives me the impression that many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?  If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I'm curious as to why someone would hope for this to happen?

Some ideas:

1) Envy - An economic collapse would level the field. People who have delayed gratification to save and invested their money would be on even ground with those who did not budget or save, as well as with those blessed to be born into a family who was not living from paycheck to paycheck.
2) General unhappiness or boredom with life - An economic collapse would be a sort of re-set and you would not have to get up every day to face the same unhappy or boring circumstances that you find yourself in, boring job, dysfunctional relationships, etc.
3) Feelings of meaninglessness - An economic collapse could disconnect you from trivial or mundane activities and connect you with the essentials of life.
4) Avoiding consequences - Maybe you are underperforming at your job and at risk for being fired, are facing legal problems, ect.  A collapse would get you out of this....probably out of the frying pan and into the fire?
5) Opportunity to disregard laws that you don't like if the economic collapse is so severe that there are insufficient police or other means to enforce the laws.   
6) Enjoying the demise of authority - secretly enjoying people who have risen to positions of power be taken down....like the spectator on the sidelines who does not want to take risk grinning and saying "the higher they fly, the harder they fall" ?

Other thoughts, anyone?

Cyd

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Do many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »
All of the above, to a certain extent.

Plus it validates their world view of a corrupt system run by a globalist cabal that must collapse before the far-sighted righteous preppers can rise from the ashes and refashion an economy they will be more competitive in.  It also justifies pulling 401k money out in order to buy more gear.

Like everything else in this space, there’s some practical economic recommendations hidden in amongst the ideological fantasy, and it’s up to us to work through that as we plan for the future. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 03:39:39 PM »
It seems like much of the reading that I have seen on various preparedness forums and blogs gives me the impression that many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?

This is actually one of the big reasons I'm a member of this forum, and not any other survivalist forums -- we seem to atract very few of those sorts of people.  I think you've hit it on the head with your 6 reasons.

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »
Thanks for your replies Freelancer and Mr. Bill.  I'd add a 7th from Freelancer (below).  I like the "buy more gear" as an example of avoiding the consequences or an example of envy.

7) Dreams of power - the globalist cabal will collapse so you can refashion the economy to your advantage.

Cyd

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »
I haven't spotted any of that sort of people here yet, and don't know of any.
And, this is the only prep site that I visit.
And I'm sure that there are the types out there that you've mentioned. What very few prep shows I've watched on the tube, and ytube, all seem to mostly be into the military style prep. Those who spend their money and time on firearms and fortification, military style, instead of homestead style.
I tend to think our prepping is more in line with homesteading.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
5) Opportunity to disregard laws that you don't like if the economic collapse is so severe that there are insufficient police or other means to enforce the laws.

Can I add a 5a and 5b?

5a) During a collapse, we are the law enforcers, and we can apply the laws differently to "us" and "them".  (This is why some survivalists are focused on "looters".  If you can divide everyone into good honest well-prepared families vs evil parasite predator looters, it's easier to fantasize about shooting them with all those rifles you stockpiled.)

5b) A collapse favors people who are willing to use violence.  (I believe this applies to only a small fraction of people who call themselves preppers or survivalists, but it does apply to a lot of criminals and wannabe tyrants, as well as a certain fraction of the official enforcers.  Gangs and warlords, extortion and theft and murder -- that's how things look in parts of the world where a collapse has actually occurred.  And the violent people who are profiting from this are doing their best to prevent the return of peace.)

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Yes.  Disturbing but true.

Cyd

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
Thanks for your replies Freelancer and Mr. Bill.  I'd add a 7th from Freelancer (below).  I like the "buy more gear" as an example of avoiding the consequences or an example of envy.

7) Dreams of power - the globalist cabal will collapse so you can refashion the economy to your advantage.

Cyd

Quite a few years ago people made the argument on the forums that if anything Alex Jones says is true then why aren’t they trying to get him ? Nowadays however he is considered public enemy number one and the media and legal system has been attacking and lying about him left and right constantly

Offline Carver

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
It seems like much of the reading that I have seen on various preparedness forums and blogs gives me the impression that many preppers actually hope for an economic collapse?  If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I'm curious as to why someone would hope for this to happen?

Some ideas:

1) Envy - An economic collapse would level the field. People who have delayed gratification to save and invested their money would be on even ground with those who did not budget or save, as well as with those blessed to be born into a family who was not living from paycheck to paycheck.
2) General unhappiness or boredom with life - An economic collapse would be a sort of re-set and you would not have to get up every day to face the same unhappy or boring circumstances that you find yourself in, boring job, dysfunctional relationships, etc.
3) Feelings of meaninglessness - An economic collapse could disconnect you from trivial or mundane activities and connect you with the essentials of life.
4) Avoiding consequences - Maybe you are underperforming at your job and at risk for being fired, are facing legal problems, ect.  A collapse would get you out of this....probably out of the frying pan and into the fire?
6) Enjoying the demise of authority - secretly enjoying people who have risen to positions of power be taken down....like the spectator on the sidelines who does not want to take risk grinning and saying "the higher they fly, the harder they fall" ?

Other thoughts, anyone?

Cyd

Wow! That stuff sounds exciting! Please provide links! The hyperbole is what one would see on one of those juvenile Freddy the 13th movies. But that’s okay as the content on sites like this is so boring it would put a household of knitters to sleep. Bring it on!