Author Topic: Indoor Garden (Not A Greenhouse, Literally Indoors)  (Read 3403 times)

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
Indoor Garden (Not A Greenhouse, Literally Indoors)
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:11:24 AM »
Hello,

I just posted asking about planing on a small deck with a lack of direct sunlight and then I thought of something else... I have a spare bedroom that I could plant things in buckets, square foot garden, etc. and maybe use growing lights to circumvent the lack of direct sunlight I have on my deck. Has anyone ever done this before? My first concern is that some police drug seeking plane will fly over my condo and see the heat lamps through my roof and think I am growing pot and come raid my home :) My second concern is bugs getting in my home via the potting soil and the plants. My third concern (and I'm sure I'll think of more) is moisture in my home due to the watering and heat damaging my sheetrock/carpet/etc.

The best advice is probably to move the hell out of the condo and get a place with a backyard and some sunlight... I know I know... but for now I am stuck here since I own and am upside down :( I sure wish I would have discovered the "survival" lifestyle a few years ago before I signed my life away to a condo in the city but we live and we learn and I am making the best of it.

Thank you for your help!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Indoor Garden (Not A Greenhouse, Literally Indoors)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
It is possible if you're diligent in your care of the plants.  They'll be dependent upon you for everything, since mother nature won't be around.

I've used my spare bedroom to grow things before & it works just fine.  You'll need to set up a lighting grid that supplies the appropriate type of lighting to the plants, you'll also need to circulate air around the room.  A small fan or two works good for this.  Think of it as resistance training for plant stems & stalks, the slight wind will cause them to bulk up their support system.  There are other variables to consider as well, but you can find most of them by doing a search. ;)

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:15 AM »
The amount of lighting you'll need to grow most plants is pretty high.

It's possibly, but expensive when it comes to buying all the lighting and paying for the electricity.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »
Pollination can be an issue according to the type of plants involved.
Most of the time you can overcome this by hand pollinating. Just be aware of the type of plant and its method of pollination.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
The amount of lighting you'll need to grow most plants is pretty high.

It's possibly, but expensive when it comes to buying all the lighting and paying for the electricity.
And this can tip off the police that a raid might be needed.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
I have heard that people that grow pot, legally in CA with correct permitting of course, use lights from your local brew and grow. Some Mylar on the walls and maybe a drip emitter system can give an almost perfect environment. Keep an eye out for Aphids, for some reason they seem to thrive in indoor gardens. 

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
It is possible if you're diligent in your care of the plants.  They'll be dependent upon you for everything, since mother nature won't be around.

I've used my spare bedroom to grow things before & it works just fine.  You'll need to set up a lighting grid that supplies the appropriate type of lighting to the plants, you'll also need to circulate air around the room.  A small fan or two works good for this.  Think of it as resistance training for plant stems & stalks, the slight wind will cause them to bulk up their support system.  There are other variables to consider as well, but you can find most of them by doing a search. ;)

DeltaEchoVictor, what types of plants were you able to grow in your spare bedroom?

Thanks!

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
I have heard that people that grow pot, legally in CA with correct permitting of course, use lights from your local brew and grow. Some Mylar on the walls and maybe a drip emitter system can give an almost perfect environment. Keep an eye out for Aphids, for some reason they seem to thrive in indoor gardens. 

ejsandstorm,

what is the mylar's function on the walls?

Thanks!

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
And this can tip off the police that a raid might be needed.

Yeah, a raid is something I'd like to avoid... ugh the thought of other people going through my home just bothers me.

Thanks!

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
ejsandstorm,

what is the mylar's function on the walls?

Thanks!

I think it reflects the light back into the room, and possibly keeps some of the heat signature down. This way you could run a smaller fixture/ less fixtures and a byproduct is more temperature control. I would also think you could angle it in some sort of way to get light to the lower parts of the plants.

Something else to consider. Most modern houses are sealed up tight, that's why you need an air exchanger. Well with plants breathing CO2, unless you happen to have a tread mill in the room, you may not get enough for the plants. This is why the brew and grows carry CO2 tanks and automated timers.

(P.S. all knowledge comes for a totally legal stand point. I used to like to read counter culture info, I thought I was a hip kid. Now I just have a a lot of worthless info)

Offline cammoguy

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 08:53:21 PM »
How about putting the garden and gro-lights outside on your deck? Get one of those little-bitty greenhouses. I saw one at the store that was just big enough to walk inside.
Maybe that way everyone can see you're not growing spawn of the devil.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 08:54:34 PM »
How about putting the garden and gro-lights outside on your deck? Get one of those little-bitty greenhouses. I saw one at the store that was just big enough to walk inside.
Maybe that way everyone can see you're not growing spawn of the devil.

Ha! That made me laugh... I didn't know you could grow spawn of the devil :)   Do you know where you saw the mini greenhouse? I would defintiely be interested in checking one out.

Thanks!

Offline cammoguy

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
I'm in Oregon and saw it at Bi-Mart.

Basically, it's just heavy see-thru plastic like a shower curtain over a framework. The door rolled up (I believe) and there was just enough space to stand inside.
The framework supported some shelving.

I've seen one online that is just a 4 shelf unit with plastic over it. Bet you could make one pretty easy.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »
If you want to grow indoors, youtube "grow lights" and substitute veggies for what they are growing.

Are there any community gardens around?  Many places have portions of a plot to rent or for free.  Check with the local university extension maybe.

Another option would be guerrilla gardening.  You could find a patch somewhere and seed things that need little care.

sarahluker

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »
You can make a mini greenhouse out of PVC pipe.  Cover it with shower curtains...the thick clear plastic kind that you can iron together.  Clamp it onto your deck.  There are probably some vids about this on you tube.