Author Topic: Any good deals on a portable AM/FM/SW/Ham radio receiver?  (Read 423 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Any good deals on a portable AM/FM/SW/Ham radio receiver?
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
Am looking to get a cheap portable radio to get into using ham radio that offers great shortwave reception with all channels (realize I'll need a good antenna setup to connect to it). I know that shortwave is not what it used to be.

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Any good deals on a portable AM/FM/SW/Ham radio receiver?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
I think I'd recommend a receiver for listening first. Tecsun or one of the other common radios for SW, SSB, CW. It has helped me understand the radio spectrum better. If you do find a reasonably priced transceiver please share the info.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Any good deals on a portable AM/FM/SW/Ham radio receiver?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
If you do find a reasonably priced transceiver please share the info.

For a portable vhf/uhf transceiver  with multiband reception, the Yaesu FT1DR is awesome.  It is now discontinued but was priced in the value sweet spot of features.  It also has group coms, aprs, and gps capabilities.  It was selling for $250 new a while back but used prices now rival that.  But still well worth it.

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=25F65DA12CA1FCB444A927CD14417BFD&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0