Author Topic: "Walking to Freedom" relocation ideas (inspired by TSP Episode-2438)  (Read 232 times)

Offline MilesOfRoses

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Hey everyone, this is my first post but I've been listening to the podcast on and off for about 6 years.
I was listening to Episode-2438 "Walking to Freedom" and Jack hit on a point that I had been thinking about lately. Essentially, figuring out what location would be the most conducive to your personal small homestead dreams.

I especially liked what Jack had to say about his own (sub)urban / Rural fringe zone near Fort Worth TX. He's 20 minutes away from a major city, and yet he has no building permits and he can do whatever he wants on his property. Talk about the best of both worlds! I am interested in finding a similar type of location, preferably in my current state Michigan... But I'm not sure where to start finding such a place, or researching what regulations do/don't exist for each town / unincorporated community / county etc... This governmental research is a challenge for me right now.

I also like Jack's idea of a "liberty checklist" to help systematically uncover the true criteria for a piece of property.

My liberty checklist might look like this:

Governmental:
  • 2nd amendment rights protected
  • Minimal building codes/regulations for fencing / shed permits / pond installation, etc
  • Legally allowed to have poultry

Natural resources:
  • Abundant access to fresh water
  • Abundant timber for building and heating homes

Proximity to cities with high population density:
  • Far enough away from cities that I can avoid their restrictive regulations
  • Close enough to cities that I could potentially sell homestead products to the city population
  • (sub)urban / Rural fringe zone???

Do you guys have your own liberty checklists? Any tips or advice on navigating the confusing world of governmental regulations in order to identify a location that has maximum freedom?

Thanks for your time,

-Miles

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: "Walking to Freedom" relocation ideas (inspired by TSP Episode-2438)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
Glad you're here, Miles. Great first post!!!

I think another key indicator for us was under governmental:  TAXATION!!!

Taxation:
We were interested in low income taxes and reasonable property taxes on any location we chose. We also wanted to be close enough to a major city to have a reasonable airport nearby and also better healthcare options than you typically find in very small towns. We also wanted building restrictions to be minimal as we planned to do most of the home construction ourselves and hire out only the parts we don't feel comfortable doing. Finding out the details of a particular area can take a bit of digging sometimes. We looked at key criteria from a macro view to choose the state and then looked at individual county detail to determine regulations and tax rates. Then we started looking for property.

Economics: We were looking for a state with a good economic outlook and a business-friendly atmosphere (Taxation again).

International:
Having lived in a border state now for several years, we also knew we wanted to be a bit farther from those places with rampant illegal immigration and all the problems that go along with it.

Climate:
Climate was also a big consideration. We wanted a region with a fairly mild winter and good growing season.

Acreage: We wanted enough for a small homestead, preferably with access to a river or stream. We also wanted a homestead well so that we could be fairly water-independent.

Politics: (I know this may not be everyone's perspective, so please don't be offended if you disagree) We wanted to be in a pretty much "red" state. We also wanted a place with 2nd amendment freedoms. Those blue states seem bent on taking away personal liberties through regulation, taxation, etc. We live in a blue state now and don't much like it. In the election last week, 100% of my votes were not among the winners. So, I'm definitely at odds with the folks living here. As such, I plan to remove myself and let them have it.

It took us a couple of years of looking for property to find the right spot, but the new homestead is underway...

Offline MilesOfRoses

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »

Economics: We were looking for a state with a good economic outlook and a business-friendly atmosphere (Taxation again).

Economics and business is also why I would not want to be TOO far from cities, because they could be my target market for selling food products created on the homestead. This could possibly make up for the higher property taxation that often comes with a closer proximity to cities. There are always compromises, but this is also why I like Jack's concept of the "fringe" areas that feel rural, but are surprisingly close to a city.

International:
Having lived in a border state now for several years, we also knew we wanted to be a bit farther from those places with rampant illegal immigration and all the problems that go along with it.
I'm also in a border state in MI, but Canada doesn't seem to bring any issues down here ;)

Politics: (I know this may not be everyone's perspective, so please don't be offended if you disagree) We wanted to be in a pretty much "red" state. We also wanted a place with 2nd amendment freedoms. Those blue states seem bent on taking away personal liberties through regulation, taxation, etc. We live in a blue state now and don't much like it. In the election last week, 100% of my votes were not among the winners. So, I'm definitely at odds with the folks living here. As such, I plan to remove myself and let them have it.

2nd amendment rights, and the ability to get a CCW permit are also non-negotiable for me. I'd refuse to live in a state that claims to take my right to protect myself. So that alone seems to rule out most far leaning democrat states right off the bat. As a libertarian, I think I'd prefer an area that isn't too solidly (authoritatively) aligned with either the left or the right.

But this is not only about politics, but I think personal/cultural compatibility is also a huge consideration that isn't talked about enough. And if I don't agree with any of my neighbors about any of my deepest values, beliefs, passions, that will make it more challenging to create alliances, mutual aid groups, etc. I'm sure you know that experience by being in a state that you don't align with politically.

Close community is a very good survivalist strategy, so that includes politics, culture, etc... big considerations when choosing where to set up shop for the long haul.

It took us a couple of years of looking for property to find the right spot, but the new homestead is underway...
I'm glad to hear that your homestead dream is becoming a reality! I hope to take steps in that direction as well. Discussing and reading these topics gets us one step closer.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
one big consideration for us in addition to everything you two have mentioned is Homeschool Laws.

We still have 4 kids in school, and the homeschool environment is highly important to us - one of the top 3 reasons (the other two are 2nd amendment issues, and taxes) I will never move to upstate NY, as much as I love it there.  New York treats all homeschoolers as criminals just waiting to get caught.  Other states, like Idaho have no regulations at all.  Right now we are sitting pretty in that in Utah - some regulation, but mostly they leave us alone.

On the other hand, the water situation is dire here.  I guess you pick what you can live with.  I would actually like Michigan or Idaho, but hubby is dragging his feet.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
one big consideration for us in addition to everything you two have mentioned is Homeschool Laws.

We still have 4 kids in school, and the homeschool environment is highly important to us - one of the top 3 reasons (the other two are 2nd amendment issues, and taxes) I will never move to upstate NY, as much as I love it there.  New York treats all homeschoolers as criminals just waiting to get caught.  Other states, like Idaho have no regulations at all.  Right now we are sitting pretty in that in Utah - some regulation, but mostly they leave us alone.

On the other hand, the water situation is dire here.  I guess you pick what you can live with.  I would actually like Michigan or Idaho, but hubby is dragging his feet.

Agreed... my kids are now college age, so it is less of a consideration now, but I think typically if the general legal situation is freedom-friendly, the homeschooling requirements are probably not too onerous either. We homeschooled in four different states, each with varying degrees of reporting requirements, but none were too bad.

Offline MilesOfRoses

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
100% agree, I was home schooled growing up, I partially credit my views on the importance of personal freedom on that upbringing. If I had kids, I would certainly want to have that option as well. Here in Michigan, my mom had no legal or regulation issues homeschooling 3 kids, which is another reason why I like this state. If Utah and Idaho have similar laws, that is a great sign for raising a family there.

Abundant access to fresh water is one of my non-negotiable "liberty checklist" points for a resilient homestead.
I don't know about Idaho's fresh water security situation in the southern desert regions, but maybe north Idaho has a reliable water table and rivers?
With the exception of the corrupt government situation in Flint Michigan, here in the great lakes we theoretically should be good when it comes to fresh water and a decent water table (unless the lakes get polluted)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:41:36 PM by MilesOfRoses »