Author Topic: Optics  (Read 271 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Optics
« on: November 10, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I'd never done the optics thing because I am the 20/15 eyes guy so it wasn't a problem. I'm the only 38 year old I know with no corrective anything.

Then I got into precision rifle shooting and bought a fixed 4 power scope for my scout rifle and a 21x for my bigger rifle. I then got a 20-60x spotting scope and have rounded it out with 10x binoculars.

Optics are kinda cool and a little weird. We set up the spotting scope at the cabin and the kids love it because you can track a loon or a heron or some inland game animals. At 60x I can watch boats and direct our boat to the spot where fishing is best. From a mile out I can see the water and which boat is landing the keepers. Sounds dumb but the power to see the current and the swells is awesome as a time saver.

Same with the binos. You grow up knowing every captain had a telescope and every tank commander had a set of binoculars. It's not for targeting. It's for plotting a path and surveying the way forward. Knowing the landscape or seashore.

Of course my wife laughs at this realization having an old set of cheap binos, a telephoto lens for her SLR, and a childhood telescope. Yeah, seeing things is good. But I didn't see how valuable it could be.

Any thoughts on optics preps? Oddball uses?

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Optics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
I've got a monocular like this, they're basically half a binocular and are therefore half the weight, half the size and half the cost, ideal for camping because we don't need two eyes anyway..:)
I first knew about them when I heard Apollo astronauts carried them (in larger versions) so that's a good enough recommendation for me..:)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Any thoughts on optics preps? Oddball uses?

For shooting, optics can help with both target detection and range estimation. 

With some binoculars and spotting scopes you can remove lens and use to start a fire.

You can send messages with flags over long distances using optics.

You can use optics, a protractor, and plum line to measure angles and therefore heights, declinations, etc.

You can sometimes verify types of planes flying overhead. And they vpcan be used to verify line of sight with them.  I have a freind with a cheap scope on his cantenna to help target free wifi access from a distance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:09:04 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Another use is for low light visibility.
Lenses gather light, the large the diameter, the more light they gather.
Given the right lens and coatings (or lack there of), things not visible to the naked eye at dusk type conditions are visible through the lens.

Funny thing is that the cheaper lenses tend to work better for this. They generally don't have the Infrared coating so don't block it.
I read about his a long time ago that the cheap digital pocket cameras tended to work better than the more expensive cameras in low light conditions due to their lack of IR filter coated lenses.
I tried it out with the one I had and it actually worked. It's easy to tell if it has an IR coating or not by looking at a TV remote while pushing a button. If you can see the light, it doesn't have the IR blocking coating. Mind you, this only works with cameras and not direct optics. The sensor in the camera detects the IR light where-as your eyes can't.

As far as your bino's and scopes, take a peak around dusk when you can barely see with your eyes alone and then again through them. I think you might be mildly surprised.