Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19 (a.k.a. 2019-nCoV) outbreak in China  (Read 55412 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 (a.k.a. 2019-nCoV) outbreak in China
« Reply #1200 on: June 18, 2020, 01:06:58 AM »
Cumulative Cases/Deaths per Million Population

Nation/State         Cases/mil Deaths/mil
Belgium5,199835
UK 4,409621
Spain6,240580
Italy3,933570
Sweden 5,404499
France2,423453
US6,752362
Canada  2,647219
Germany2,270107
Turkey2,16758
Norway1,60445
Czechia94931
Greece30718
Japan 1397
S Korea2395
--- --- ---
New York20,889 1,596
New Jersey19,2071,451
Connecticut 12,7421,183
Massachusetts 15,4011,122
Rhode Island  15,305827
Washington, DC13,953741
Louisiana10,462660
Michigan6,658 604
Illinois 10,589512
Pennsylvania 6,593499
Maryland 10,416496
Delaware 10,725437
Indiana 6,092368
Mississippi 6,935315
Colorado 5,153283
Georgia ^x25,654243
New Hampshire ^x13,998243
Minnesota 5,549241
Ohio 3,638224
New Mexico ^x14,800216
Iowa 7,753214
Virginia 6,534185
Arizona ^x15,622170
Washington3,613162
Alabama ^x15,570161
Nevada 3,845154
Missouri 2,800151
Florida 3,851141
California 4,131134
Wisconsin 4,028122
Nebraska ^x38,905121
South Carolina 3,992120
Kentucky 2,909116
North Carolina 4,475113
North Dakota 4,15597
Oklahoma 2,25092
South Dakota ^x26,83988
Vermont 1,81388
Kansas 4,03185
Maine 2,11076
Texas 3,42573
Tennessee 4,70773
Arkansas 4,50965
Idaho ^x11,75749
West Virginia 1,32649
Utah ^x14,78646
Oregon 1,47443
Wyoming 1,92531
Montana 589 19
Alaska 95116
Hawaii 52512

Global deaths are now at 451k with 120k in the US, or about 800 deaths per day over the last 10 days. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1201 on: June 18, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »

What does it mean that the FDA revoked an emergency use, doctors can use it anyway without their permission was my understanding ?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-revokes-emergency-use-authorization-chloroquine-and

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Revokes Emergency Use Authorization for Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1202 on: June 18, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »
What does it mean that the FDA revoked an emergency use, doctors can use it anyway without their permission was my understanding ?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-revokes-emergency-use-authorization-chloroquine-and

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Revokes Emergency Use Authorization for Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine

It means those donated doses can now be used at the propper point of treatment.  The original order meant that the donated doses could only be used in hospitals for the most severe cases.  But that is not what the science has shown, rather it is best used as a preventative measure or in early stages.  This allows it to be used at those times.  For the most severe cases in hospital they should use dexamethasone.  It is another safe, existing drug used for other purposes like hydroxychloroquine.  In fact the two have been used together for malaria in the past.  There are several other malaria drugs which are also in trials that show strong potential.  Luckily, the administration has untied doctors' hands.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/6D6E909E-AFEF-11EA-885A-481D889F3439
U.K. approves use of life-saving coronavirus drug dexamethasone in ‘biggest breakthrough yet’ — it costs £5 per patient

A trial led by Oxford University found that the low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators, and by a fifth for those on oxygen, according to results published earlier on Tuesday.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1203 on: June 18, 2020, 01:11:24 PM »
If your state government isnt sponsoring large sample random testing, they aren't serious about mitigating the virus.

https://www.wlky.com/amp/article/indianas-random-testing-study-finds-covid-19-spread-has-slowed-in-recent-weeks/32906132
Indiana's random testing study finds COVID-19 spread has slowed in recent weeks

A study being conducted in Indiana showed the spread of COVID-19 has slowed in recent weeks.

Researches at the Fairbanks School of Public Health have been tracking the prevalence of the virus in the state by conducting random testing.

About 3,600 Hoosiers were tested early this month as part of the study's second phase.

The results were compared to tests done in late April.

Researchers said they found fewer active infections, but more people tested positive for antibodies.

"Taken together, this is evidence that the virus has slowed its spread within our state... While the preliminary results presented today are reassuring that the virus is being managed in Indiana, we should be reminded by the experiences of other states that the virus can still be transmitted if we're not careful,"

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1204 on: June 18, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
If your state government isnt sponsoring large sample random testing, they aren't serious about mitigating the virus.

Some data people and statisticians have been shouting this from early on. MN is currently doing a random sample of 210 households.  :wtf: They should have a sample size ten times as large and offer a cash reward for participating in a study that delves deep into lifestyle and risk factors. We were told that this is the greatest public health threat in a century and the only data points are going to be "dead" and "infected"? That's not bad, it's pathetic. My state will, in FY 2020, put more resources to fishing regulation than COVID.

The conspiratorial side of my brain (which is admittedly overactive) is screaming that they already know the data and are just not releasing it because it will make their policies look foolish. There is nothing more despicable  than making policy choices without clear information.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1205 on: June 18, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
https://washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/18/anthony-fauci-widespread-lockdowns-no-longer-neede/
Anthony Fauci: Widespread lockdowns no longer needed in U.S.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said in an interview Thursday that the U.S. does not need any kind of return to widespread lockdowns to contain the coronavirus.
“I don’t think we’re going to be talking about going back to lockdown,” he said. “I think we’re going to be talking about trying to better control those areas of the country that seem to be having a surge of cases.”

Mr. Fauci told the French news agency that as the U.S. returns to normal, flare-ups might happen, but the approach to matters such as school reopenings will be localized.

“Counties where there are certainly no cases at all, there’s no problem with the schools opening,” he said.

“There are other parts where there’s a modest amount of infection (where) you may delay school openings,”

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #1206 on: June 18, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
https://washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/18/anthony-fauci-widespread-lockdowns-no-longer-neede/
Anthony Fauci: Widespread lockdowns no longer needed in U.S.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said in an interview Thursday that the U.S. does not need any kind of return to widespread lockdowns to contain the coronavirus.
“I don’t think we’re going to be talking about going back to lockdown,” he said. “I think we’re going to be talking about trying to better control those areas of the country that seem to be having a surge of cases.”

Mr. Fauci told the French news agency that as the U.S. returns to normal, flare-ups might happen, but the approach to matters such as school reopenings will be localized.

the same Dr. Fauci that admitted to LYING to the American public about the efficacy of face masks?  THAT Dr. Fauci?  Forgive me if I never believe anything he ever says again.  Sure, he had a "good reason" for lying to everyone.  How many other lies has he told in this whole situation for a "good reason?"
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fauci-confirms-public-health-experts-downplayed-efficacy-of-masks-to-ensure-they-would-be-available-to-healthcare-workers/
https://www.thestreet.com/video/dr-fauci-masks-changing-directive-coronavirus

sorry - he has destroyed all credibility with me.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1207 on: June 19, 2020, 06:43:46 AM »

Even a broken clock is right twice a day,. Unless it is a military clock, then it is right only once.   ;D

They are starting to look at the excess deaths from the lockdown.  The estimates aren't pretty.  Tens of thousands just from cancer treatment delays alone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/18/nations-cancer-chief-warns-delays-cancer-care-are-likely-result-thousands-extra-deaths-coming-years/
Nation’s cancer chief warns delays in cancer care are likely to result in thousands of extra deaths in coming years

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1208 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:36 AM »
the same Dr. Fauci that admitted to LYING to the American public about the efficacy of face masks?  THAT Dr. Fauci?  Forgive me if I never believe anything he ever says again.  Sure, he had a "good reason" for lying to everyone.  How many other lies has he told in this whole situation for a "good reason?"
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fauci-confirms-public-health-experts-downplayed-efficacy-of-masks-to-ensure-they-would-be-available-to-healthcare-workers/
https://www.thestreet.com/video/dr-fauci-masks-changing-directive-coronavirus

Or the fact that he based his death estimates and contagion predictions on the Diamond Princess cruise ship? Let's see... An elderly population confined together where not all passengers were even tested...

To this day we are being given falsified data where hospitals are incentivized to code everything as COVID. I will say it has had a profound impact on my family and friends. We now see which of us are math literate and which couldn't pass 3rd grade statistics.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #1209 on: June 22, 2020, 06:59:06 PM »
So, looks like this is still just a Southern CA problem here in California.

I am looking at deaths, as an indication of more people having it bad, hospitalizations, etc... as it is the data I can find easily, I dont care much about how many cases, they can be mild, asymptomatic, may depend on how many bother to go it to get tested

Freelancer last reported 4100 deaths for the state, looks like at least 3120 of those are LA county -- numbers are not matching from the 2 different sources, but still, WHen you see NY state numbers is is mostly NYC, when you see CA numbers, it is mostly LA county

LA county                   3120
Riverside county           410
San Diego county          338
Orange county              269
San Bernadino county    233

in the greater San Francisco bay area ( which geographically is actually in the middle of CA )

Santa Clara county ( silicon valley)  152
Alameda county                             118
San Mateo county                           103

The real northern CA has very, very little , other places in the middle, all under 100 reported deaths, most none or a handful

So Newsom makes rules for the entire geographical state based on what looks like a southern CA issue ? So very many people in my county get tested, an extremely small percentage ever test positive, with a couple deaths attributed to it. 

https://public.tableau.com/shared/NMWWFFGB2?:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y&:showVizHome=no

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #1210 on: June 22, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
Yakima County, Washington, is one of the hottest hot spots in the western US.

AP, 6/22/20: Virus is taking big toll on farm county in Washington state

...The coronavirus pandemic is hitting Yakima County hard, with cases surging far faster in this region about 140 miles (225 kilometers) southeast of Seattle than the rest of the state. The virus has caused turmoil in the farm and food processing industry, where some fearful workers staged wildcat strikes recently to demand employers provide safer working conditions.

Hospitals in the county are filled to capacity and have started sending patients to neighboring counties, officials said.

Efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 among the county's 250,000 residents have so far failed, and Yakima County is one of only three in Washington that has remained in Phase One lockdown while most of the state is starting to reopen.

Inslee said a big reason is that many people in Yakima County are declining to wear masks.

Visits to fast-food restaurants and other essential businesses found lots of employees and customers not wearing masks. In Selah, youth league baseball games were being played with spectators — few wearing masks — in the stands.

Inslee on Saturday announced he was preparing a proclamation to require Yakima County residents to wear masks when outside their homes. Stores and other businesses will be banned from selling to customers without masks, he said.

“That essentially means: ‘’No mask, no service, and no mask, no goods,'' Inslee said. ...

Local report from the Yakima Herald, 6/22/20: Inslee: No mask, no service in Yakima County to contain coronavirus

...“It is a legal requirement; it is not just a suggestion,” Inslee told reporters during a Saturday news conference. “It is required if we are going to prevent this disaster from overtaking this beautiful valley.” ...

He also said the state has trained 1,000 contact tracers and is providing the Yakima Health District with $6.5 million in funding to help with efforts to rein in the county’s growing number of coronavirus cases. ...

As of Thursday, the rate was almost 700 per 100,000 people over the previous two weeks, according to the state Department of Health. That is about 28 times higher than what is required to move to the next phase of the “Safe Start” reopening program.

By comparison, 55.4 people per 100,000 tested positive statewide during the same time period. ...

The Yakima Health District said Friday that the county’s three hospitals had exceeded staffing capacity. Virginia Mason Memorial had no intensive care or non-intensive care beds available Thursday night. ...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1211 on: June 23, 2020, 02:07:52 AM »
So, looks like this is still just a Southern CA problem here in California.

Yeah, it looks that way to me, too.  But why?

As of today CDPH is reporting more than 5.5k deaths in the state, with nearly 60% in LA county alone, 20% in the other SoCal counties, and the remainder spread out across all the counties to the north.

It's not clear why we're seeing this dramatic geographic difference in disease burden between northern and southern parts of the state, or even within the southern counties.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1213 on: June 24, 2020, 07:29:03 AM »
I have a cousin living near Yakima county. She says that the fruit processing plants were not allowing for safe distancing and that is a large part of the problem. It doesn't explain it entirely, though. I looked at the demographics of the county's infection rate and see that the percentage of hispanics with the virus was only slightly higher than their percentage of the population (and the fruit processing plants are dominated by hispanic workers). There is also the Yakima reservation. The native population also has a higher infection rate than their percentage of the population. The white population had about half the infection rate relative to their percentage of the population on the chart I saw. However, 18% of the infected individuals were not designated to any group (unknown). That's a pretty high "unknown" percentage, which could change the picture a great deal...

Offline Prepper456

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1214 on: June 24, 2020, 07:51:37 AM »
genocide without the smallpox blankets? wear a mask, reduce your chances of catching covid. pack the unwanteds into workplaces like sardines, dont mandate wearing masks, they catch the disease, problem solved. the wall, banning immigration, deportation ecetera didnt work after all.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1215 on: June 24, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »
Only White people must wear masks ? Pretty odd if you ask me

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/oregon-county-imposes-face-mask-requirement-targeting-only-white-people-minorities-exempt-over-racism-fears%3f_amp=true

That's insane. Not just in that it's incredibly stupid to not apply the best science to all people equally (they are putting minorities at a higher risk) but it adds another error to model the data and effectively help everyone. I can't help but read it that they have put a higher value on white lives and I find that disgusting.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1216 on: June 24, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »
Cases in my area of California are creeping up and ICU bed availability is starting to be impacted, requiring transferring patients to other hospitals to get care.  I'm hearing of docs getting shanghaied out of their usual specialty comfort zones to staff the ICUs.  We didn't see this two months ago, although we emptied out the hospitals in preparation for it.  Now the hospitals are easing back into elective surgeries and other money making procedures at the same time are cases are increasing.  Arizona is a little ahead of us on their own surge and our hospitals are worried about having to take in overflow once Phoenix is maxed out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1217 on: June 25, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »
People are just not going to stay locked down for much longer... At least now there is a bit more knowledge about how to treat, etc.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #1218 on: June 25, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
Air conditioning   ( re-breathing circulated air while inside).   This is one of the huge differences, along with size of protests a few weeks ago, between south and more northern California -- except central valley has alot too--

What I want to know is if there are studies or tracking of potential correlations to things like that, Vit D levels, etc....

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
Only White people must wear masks ? Pretty odd if you ask me

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/oregon-county-imposes-face-mask-requirement-targeting-only-white-people-minorities-exempt-over-racism-fears%3f_amp=true

This exemption has been removed.

Statement from Lincoln County Leadership 6.24.20

On June 17, 2020  a public health face covering Directive was issued by Lincoln County Health and Human Services with the support of the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners as an additional tool in the fight to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Lincoln County.

The Directive broadly identified the use of face coverings in public indoor settings and outdoor locations where social distancing could not be maintained.  It was created after examination of policies and guidance from health experts and jurisdictions across Oregon and the nation which have adopted similar recommendations or orders.

In this Directive there were several exceptions identified recognizing that not everyone could or should wear a face covering:

* Persons with health/medical conditions that preclude or are exacerbated by wearing a face covering.
* Children under the age of 12. Children over the age of 2 but under the age of 12 are encouraged to wear face coverings but not required to do so.
* Persons with disabilities that prevents them from using the face covering as described in this Directive.  These persons must be reasonably accommodated to allow them access to goods and services.
* People of color who have heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment due to wearing face coverings in public.

We included the last protection for those within our communities of color who historically, and often personally, found themselves the victims of harassment and violence. After last month’s protests, the national attention given to issues of racism, police tactics and inequity, we felt this last exception would be embraced and understood as a small effort to start addressing the realities some of our neighbors deal with on a daily basis.

We are shocked and appalled at the volume of horrifically racist commentary we have received regarding this policy exception. The vitriol that county leadership, staff, and community partners, have been subjected to is unprecedented. All this only a month after George Floyd’s death.

The expressions of racism regarding the exception has created a ripple of fear throughout our communities of color. The very policy meant to protect them, is now making them a target for further discrimination and harassment.

Let us be very clear. The Directive and policy were meant to protect. Threats and racist statements turned it into a policy that now harms.

While shocking, it did not surprise us to receive racist calls from elsewhere in the country…because that is where we tell ourselves the world’s problems are right? Well that is not completely true. We were surprised by the number of derogatory calls and emails received from our very own coastal communities.   We would encourage you to think less about the possibility of your rights being violated and think instead of the heightened feelings of risk that people of color in your neighborhoods daily endure.

The County also received several calls from leadership from our communities of color asking us to revise the policy – it was not providing them protection, but instead making them possible targets for more hate. To address those concerns, we are revising our Public Health Directive and face covering policies. It saddens us greatly that we need to do that. We will not continue a Directive and policies that were intended to assist but instead are a potential source of harm for those we are sworn to protect.

Lincoln County will continue to recognize and fight racism.  We will start with changes under our control.  We are working on a plan for those changes and details will be provided in the days and weeks ahead.  Change starts at home –with each one of us.

We are still in the middle of a pandemic.  We are all frustrated with the lack of certainty and control over our lives.  While we would like to be done with this virus, it is not done with us. Wear your face covering, be kind to each other. End racism now.

It was stupid of them to include that exemption.  But I've seen several cases nationally where "black man wearing a mask" was considered grounds for being detained by the police.  Actual problem, tone-deaf response by the county.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1220 on: June 25, 2020, 10:54:17 AM »
Air conditioning   ( re-breathing circulated air while inside).   This is one of the huge differences, along with size of protests a few weeks ago, between south and more northern California -- except central valley has alot too--

What I want to know is if there are studies or tracking of potential correlations to things like that, Vit D levels, etc....

My sister in Phoenix was saying that they are having a large uptick in cases as well.  She said "They said that heat and sunshine kill the virus.  That is NOT true here."
Me: "Um, but none of you guys are OUTSIDE in that heat and sunshine, are you?  You are all sitting in your air conditioning."

She is usually pretty smart, but somehow missed that connection.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #1221 on: June 25, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »
Yakima County, Washington, is one of the hottest hot spots in the western US.

AP, 6/22/20: Virus is taking big toll on farm county in Washington state

Local report from the Yakima Herald, 6/22/20: Inslee: No mask, no service in Yakima County to contain coronavirus

So here's what the governor has done in response.  (This is from an e-mail sent out by the Washington State Department of Commerce).

All Washingtonians are required to wear cloth face coverings in public.

Effective Friday, June 26, every Washingtonian in an indoor public space, or in an outside public space when unable to physically distance from others, will be legally required to wear a face covering.

Those with certain medical conditions and children under the age of two are excepted. Children aged 2-4 are encouraged, but not required, to wear a face covering with adult assistance.

Individuals may remove face coverings under certain circumstances, including while eating or drinking at a restaurant; while communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing; and while outdoors in public areas, provided that a distance of six feet is maintained from people who are not members of their household.

Currently, businesses in Yakima County may not serve anyone who enters their business without a facial covering.

All Washington workers must wear cloth face coverings at work, at minimum.

As of June 8, all employees are required to wear a cloth facial covering, except when working alone in an office, vehicle, or at a job site, or when the job has no in-person interaction. This applies to employees working in separate rooms or cubicles if the walls are below face level when working at their desks.

Employers must provide workers with appropriately protective facial coverings for the worker’s risk of exposure.

Per the Safe Start plan, all Washington employers are required to provide (at no cost to employees) and require the wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate for the worker's risk of exposure. Cloth face coverings must be worn by every employee not working alone unless their risk profile dictates a higher level of protection.

Washington’s 7-day test positivity rate is currently 3.7%

The test positivity rate indicates the proportion of tests that return positive results. 3.7% of individuals tested over the last week in Washington State tested positive for COVID-19. Yakima County reported 26.5%, Benton County reported 17.1%, and Franklin County reported 30.8%. These concentrated outbreaks remain of great concern.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1222 on: June 26, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »
Are We going to have a red/blue conversation about this? I suspect the more conservative rural states had a natural distancing based on lifestyle. But you've got to see that you'd be better off living in Texas or Wyoming  rather than New York or Minnesota which forced sick people back into nursing homes.

But it gets scary because... Let's just say that New York and California were the worst hit. Are they the reds or the blues? Will we redistrict? Do you think political power just shifted from the Minneapolis liberals to the outstate conservatives? We're in play every election and a couple thousand retirees downtown make a swing.

This does have the power to rewrite American politics. And I'm not hearing a lot about it.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #1223 on: June 26, 2020, 09:17:50 PM »
Are We going to have a red/blue conversation about this?

Everyone else is.  But here's the thing in Washington State: the first outbreak was in the west (blue) half, and the current outbreak is in the east (red) half.  So everyone is jumping up and down to blame each outbreak on the politics of the region, but the reality is a lot more confusing because the spread seems to be based on where/how people work and interact (duh) rather than on how they vote.  I don't have numbers in front of me, but agriculture and food processing are getting hit pretty hard in eastern WA at the moment (in addition to the traditional nursing homes).

What I'm seeing is, a lot of people act as though they've got the Right Stuff that will protect them from disease.  The blues think they know how to sanitize and social-distance while using public transportation, the reds think they're protected by living in a "rural" area (although the majority are in suburbia).  And the virus doesn't care, it just finds a niche and multiplies.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1225 on: June 27, 2020, 03:32:05 PM »
This exemption has been removed.

Statement from Lincoln County Leadership 6.24.20

It was stupid of them to include that exemption.  But I've seen several cases nationally where "black man wearing a mask" was considered grounds for being detained by the police.  Actual problem, tone-deaf response by the county.

vaccinate black people first

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/melinda-black-people-covid/

Melinda Gates said Black people should be first in line, after health care workers, to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1226 on: June 27, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
Everyone else is.  But here's the thing in Washington State: the first outbreak was in the west (blue) half, and the current outbreak is in the east (red) half.  So everyone is jumping up and down to blame each outbreak on the politics of the region, but the reality is a lot more confusing because the spread seems to be based on where/how people work and interact (duh) rather than on how they vote.  I don't have numbers in front of me, but agriculture and food processing are getting hit pretty hard in eastern WA at the moment (in addition to the traditional nursing homes).

What I'm seeing is, a lot of people act as though they've got the Right Stuff that will protect them from disease.  The blues think they know how to sanitize and social-distance while using public transportation, the reds think they're protected by living in a "rural" area (although the majority are in suburbia).  And the virus doesn't care, it just finds a niche and multiplies.

I agree. The problem I see is that the people who are social distance advocates and high risk downtown dwellers are the democrat base. That should be scary. Even though I am a libertarian anarchist it shakes me to my bones that the leadership of this country is the high risk group in all 3 branches. But just assume for a minute that I was a bloodthirsty win at all costs conservative. I'd do exactly what we're doing. Because our riots are destroying liberal cities and spreading COVID to leftists.

I 100% believe there is a conservative establishment licking their chops. I do think they play a dark game and I think they know it. AIDS crushed gay men in urban areas. But the message was that us suburban heteroseuals really need to be careful. We're doing the same with COVID. If you're a middle class suburbanite stay at home. If you live downtown feel free to protest.

If you wanted to create a system that culled democrat voters would it look different?

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1227 on: June 28, 2020, 05:37:59 AM »
A topic that's flown under the radar of most during this pandemic, but recently gaining some altitude.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196070920303124

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matias_Santos_Lopez/publication/342094778_Mouthwashes_and_Nasal_Sprays_as_a_Way_to_Prevent_the_Spread_of_SARS-CoV-2_-_Enjuagues_Bucales_y_Aerosoles_Nasales_como_un_Metodo_de_Prevenir_la_Propagacion_de_SARS-CoV-2/links/5ee1a8da92851ce9e7d92229/Mouthwashes-and-Nasal-Sprays-as-a-Way-to-Prevent-the-Spread-of-SARS-CoV-2-Enjuagues-Bucales-y-Aerosoles-Nasales-como-un-Metodo-de-Prevenir-la-Propagacion-de-SARS-CoV-2.pdf

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-34544/v2/6cd8ab3e-20a8-49cb-a76d-0fb48f1d32f3.pdf

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0145561320932318

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jopr.13209

Those were published in just the last 3 weeks, read the studies in the references sections of each to find what they're basing the recommendations on.  Human clinical trials underway.  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID&term=iodine&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=

Protection, prophylaxis, and possibly treatment protocols will be getting some new recommendations shortly I suspect.    TL;DR version: Betadine, some inexpensive measuring and delivery devices, and learning the very basics of pharmaceutical compounding at home could save lives.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1228 on: June 28, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »
A topic that's flown under the radar of most during this pandemic, but recently gaining some altitude.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196070920303124

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Matias_Santos_Lopez/publication/342094778_Mouthwashes_and_Nasal_Sprays_as_a_Way_to_Prevent_the_Spread_of_SARS-CoV-2_-_Enjuagues_Bucales_y_Aerosoles_Nasales_como_un_Metodo_de_Prevenir_la_Propagacion_de_SARS-CoV-2/links/5ee1a8da92851ce9e7d92229/Mouthwashes-and-Nasal-Sprays-as-a-Way-to-Prevent-the-Spread-of-SARS-CoV-2-Enjuagues-Bucales-y-Aerosoles-Nasales-como-un-Metodo-de-Prevenir-la-Propagacion-de-SARS-CoV-2.pdf

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-34544/v2/6cd8ab3e-20a8-49cb-a76d-0fb48f1d32f3.pdf

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0145561320932318

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jopr.13209

Those were published in just the last 3 weeks, read the studies in the references sections of each to find what they're basing the recommendations on.  Human clinical trials underway.  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID&term=iodine&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=

Protection, prophylaxis, and possibly treatment protocols will be getting some new recommendations shortly I suspect.    TL;DR version: Betadine, some inexpensive measuring and delivery devices, and learning the very basics of pharmaceutical compounding at home could save lives.

:o interesting to watch this develop.  My opinion - no matter the efficacy, it will go nowhere; the drug companies will oppose it as dangerous as they will not get paid for the vaccine, the .govs will not support it as it reduces the fear people have - and they NEED that fear to enact policies they usually could not.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1229 on: June 29, 2020, 10:00:04 PM »
Cumulative Cases/Deaths per Million Population

Nation/State         Cases/mil Deaths/mil
Belgium5,295840
UK 4,595642
Spain6,332606
Italy3,977575
Sweden 6,700526
France2,516457
US8,102389
Canada  2,753227
Germany2,332108
Turkey2,35561
Norway1,63546
Czechia1,10232
Greece32518
Japan 1468
S Korea2506
--- --- ---
New Jersey ^x119,8601,703
New York21,4531,619
Connecticut 13,0041,212
Massachusetts 15,7811,174
Rhode Island  15,825893
Washington, DC14,583781
Louisiana12,282690
Michigan7,032617
Illinois 11,325561
Maryland ^x111,124525
Pennsylvania 7,074    521
Delaware 11,683521
Indiana 6,718390
Mississippi 8,927356
Colorado 5,646292
New Hampshire ^x14,236270
Georgia 7,480262
Minnesota 6,359261
Ohio 4,419244
New Mexico 5,714235
Iowa 9,134225
Arizona* ^x110,577218
Virginia 7,286204
Alabama ^x17,582189
Washington4,385173
Missouri ^x13,548167
Nevada 5,809164
Florida* 6,814160
California 5,643151
South Carolina ^x26,729140
Nebraska ^x19,770138
Wisconsin 4,819133
North Carolina ^x16,077130
Kentucky 3,435125
North Dakota 4,644104
South Dakota ^x17,592103
Oklahoma 3,32997
Kansas ^x14,98294
Vermont 1,93690
Arkansas ^x36,71288
Tennessee ^x26,19487
Texas ^x15,49484
Maine 2,39578
Utah ^x26,75752
West Virginia ^x11,60152
Idaho* 3,21951
Oregon 2,01248
Wyoming 2,50535
Montana 86021
Alaska 1,23619
Hawaii 63613

In the last 12 days deaths went from 451k to 508k globally (13%), and from 120k to 129k in the US (8%).

Over that same period the US per capita case rate increased by 20%, with California's increasing by 36%, Texas' by 60%, while Arizona, Florida and Idaho nearly doubled.

Based on their out of whack case to death proportions, Mississippi, Georgia, Iowa, Arizona, Nebraska, South Dakota and maybe Utah have many more deaths in store.

Unfortuantely, I don't think we're anywhere close to the beginning of the end on this thing.  Maybe the end of the beginning......if an effective vaccine is in the works by the end of the year.  Otherwise this turns out to be a multiyear scourge that slowly culls the old, the poor, the sick, and the otherwise unlucky before their time.  Nobody can sit back and relax at this stage, thinking they're somehow immune to this by virtue of who they are or where they live.  We'll all know someone who dies from this before it's all over, if we're not dead ourselves.