Author Topic: Wildfire preparations, an Australian perspective  (Read 492 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Wildfire preparations, an Australian perspective
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
In the Australian wildfires thread I've been quoting an acquaintance who is living on the frontline.  He recently posted an exhortation for everyone to prepare for wildfires.  Since it's public, I'll just link it here.

Please recognize that this poor guy has been living with gigantic fires on the verge of destroying his home for a long time now, and his perspective that everything green in the world is going to burn may not seem reasonable.  He has been watching everything green in his world burning.  But from a prepping standpoint, his argument is correct: plan for what you would do if a massive fire occurs near you.

It doesn't matter whether the cause is climate change or just a multi-year drought, forests can sometimes burn.  Heh, in some ways I feel safer here in a semi-arid region where there are zero native trees and the tallest plants are human-height sagebrush: you know it's gonna burn eventually, but it won't be with 200-foot-tall flames like they've seen in the Australian forest fires.