Author Topic: Coronavirus sparks panic buying  (Read 2537 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Coronavirus sparks panic buying
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
someone walked into my local police station (!) and stole the toilet paper from the bathrooms.  :o

Brings new mesning to "911 was an inside job."

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »
Brings new mesning to "911 was an inside job."

:facepalm:

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
I am becoming more and more convinced that we have a huge number of people using no logic at all. Apparently, plumbers are putting out notices reminding folks not to flush anything other than toilet paper... people are using paper towels, etc. and clogging up the systems.  Amazing.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
I've been hearing the same

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »
I am becoming more and more convinced that we have a huge number of people using no logic at all. Apparently, plumbers are putting out notices reminding folks not to flush anything other than toilet paper... people are using paper towels, etc. and clogging up the systems.  Amazing.

you know what - I change my mind.  Maybe we should lift the quarantine and let COVID cleanse the gene pool  :deadhorse:
like a fish tank cleaner  :rofl:

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »
you know what - I change my mind.  Maybe we should lift the quarantine and let COVID cleanse the gene pool  :deadhorse:
like a fish tank cleaner  :rofl:
i've been thinkng exactly the same thing.

Offline Corona

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
I don't understand the way that this is being handled. I do understand flattening the curve, but the implementation is in my opinion having the opposite result.

Restaurants are limited to drive thru and take out only. (Understandable) But now more people are probably going to want to cook at home, since they are going to eat at home anyway. Causing more people to visit the grocery stores along with the panic buyers. Grocery stores now need extra time to restock, so they limit the hours that they are open. Furthermore they have special hours for seniors to shop, causing a funnel of all other shoppers into a shorter window of time in the store. Therefore potentially spreading the virus quicker.

You won't find me at the grocery store, I'll be couch surfing and ordering from home. I guess I'm not the only one, since even online stores are starting to run out of inventory. I had some luck on Amazon.com at first, but now even amazon seems to be running out. My last order was for rice and beans from Cajun.com, Received it in 6 days.

I don't know how long this shutdown is going to last, but I know after this is all over. The powers that be need to evaluate the way that this was handled and plan for implementing better procedures in the future.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »
This thread will make a great replacement/update to the "First Things To Disappear In A Disaster" lists.

I am looking at this for ideas on what additional things I should be stocking.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
I don't understand the way that this is being handled. I do understand flattening the curve, but the implementation is in my opinion having the opposite result.

What the governor of Illinois did was unconscionable.  He hit his citizens with a surprise shelter in place order with little detail on how stores and other essential would operate.  This led people to panic and wipe out their stores and then hit all the stores in border areas of neighboring states. In essence they drove people from infected areas into uninfected areas..These border areas were mostly infection free but now five days later they are all having reported cases.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »

I don't know how long this shutdown is going to last, but I know after this is all over. The powers that be need to evaluate the way that this was handled and plan for implementing better procedures in the future.
honey, if yer expecting the 'powers that be' to take care of you in a disaster, you're f*cked.  Period. 

I know you're new here but I don't know what level 'prepper' you are outside of this but when the sh*t hits the fan, it's everyman for himself as we are seeing now.   

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
honey, if yer expecting the 'powers that be' to take care of you in a disaster, you're f*cked.  Period. 

I know you're new here but I don't know what level 'prepper' you are outside of this but when the sh*t hits the fan, it's everyman for himself as we are seeing now.

You got that right.
Even now with the spread still rising at an exponential rate, the only thing the "Powers that be" can come up with is "Throw Money at it" which is usually their answer to everything.
Right now we're seeing people running from the States hardest hit and statistics indicating they are spreading the virus even more.
Hell, even fights are still going on across the country. They shutdown all flight after the 9/11 strike for over a week yet continue to allow people to travel spreading this crap.
This event is proving what most of us knew all along. The government at all levels hasn't, isn't, and won't save you, it's up to you.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
A homeless man approached me today asking: "Hey man, can I bum a square?"

I had to ask him: "Do you mean toilet paper, or do you need a cigarette?"

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
A homeless man approached me today asking: "Hey man, can I bum a square?"

I had to ask him: "Do you mean toilet paper, or do you need a cigarette?"
*snort*  i don't have either one.  Lol.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
Safecastle sent out an e-mail today saying "At this time, unfortunately, it may be up to 6 weeks until we can ship your order."

So let's flip this around, and discuss where to buy supplies during the pandemic (on the assumption that some of us are not SuperPrepper and aren't prepared for 2 years locked up at home).

Like for example:

My last order was for rice and beans from Cajun.com, Received it in 6 days.

If you like Indian food -- or even if you just like lots of different varieties of rice and beans and flours -- you might check out iShopIndian.com.  I ordered from them on March 3rd and they shipped in about 3 days.  Dunno if they're still so prompt, and some items have gone out of stock, but there's still a wide selection.  Be prepared to do some Googling to find out what you're buying!  Also, remember that "mild" means "the fire should self-extinguish within an hour". ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »

Also, remember that "mild" means "the fire should self-extinguish within an hour". ;D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I keep an eye on Walmart's website and Amazon almost daily.

Their stocks of Augason has been basically sold out for a month now.
I had to wait 10-12 days on the last 3 cans from Walmart.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »
If you like Indian food -- or even if you just like lots of different varieties of rice and beans and flours -- you might check out iShopIndian.com.  I ordered from them on March 3rd and they shipped in about 3 days.  Dunno if they're still so prompt, and some items have gone out of stock, but there's still a wide selection.  Be prepared to do some Googling to find out what you're buying!  Also, remember that "mild" means "the fire should self-extinguish within an hour". ;D

oh, you have just made my daughter's day.  She will love this website!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
I hate looking at a screen that only shows 2" of the actual screen.
All the little extra screens on top and bottom, and sides.
How do you get rid of that bottom screen.....

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »

No adds here, running AB+. Just the one at the bottom about your cart.

I can get some of that stuff locally if I want to. Mostly I don't want as much as I would have to buy locally.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »
All the little extra screens on top and bottom, and sides.
How do you get rid of that bottom screen.....

Are you talking about iShopIndian?  I'm not seeing that.  Are you on a computer or a smartphone?  If your phone browser is set to load the desktop version of the site, it would probably look the way you describe it.  The default version of the site for phones looks entirely different, but I haven't tried ordering using it.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 08:24:23 AM »
Yes. Computer, 16" monitor.
That overlay screen on the bottom. The one about your cart.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 08:30:03 AM »
i went to the grocery store today and was able to get enough of what i wanted/needed to hold us out for a coupleof weeks (or longer). It was low level busy. Produce was abundant, I didn't look at meat. Eggs were about wiped out as were frozen vegetables and lots of the frozen fruit. No flour or sugar to be had (well, a little organic sugar but not much of that really). Cleaning supplies pretty picked over. I forgot carrots but i have some fuzzy ones that i will peel (they're still firm, just sprouting) and we'll use those. The self-serve bakery is gone as is the salad/hot bar.

For the most part folks were social distancing but not all of them. I did my best and that's all I can do.

when i got home, i remembered i can make brown sugar myself...duh.   and as long as the dairy around the corner still has milk, we'll have dairy.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
Our mega-store had a sign on the front door "SUSHI BAR CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE".
Did that turn away a lot of people I wonder.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 03:59:34 PM »
Our mega-store had a sign on the front door "SUSHI BAR CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE".
Did that turn away a lot of people I wonder.
We're living like cavemen!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
Yes. Computer, 16" monitor.
That overlay screen on the bottom. The one about your cart.

Weird.  I have no clue.  Looks fine on mine.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2020, 03:09:41 AM »
do not know if you have seen it in the Us media....
And the call us, preppers, freaks

LONGEST Costco Line in the WORLD: Covid-19 in Cali https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xNtHqvkbg

I counted 221 carts
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:14:43 AM by Greekman »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:04 AM »

And the call us, preppers, freaks

Yes, that still is done to this day. I run across it in other forums

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2020, 03:21:02 AM »

My sister had admonished me to stop hoarding because there is no food shortage. I had heard previously however that food shortages are likely coming. It’s seems like many shelves are only 1/4 full, the cookie and cracker isles are like that. Some stores are running out of bananas and chicken.

She says people like me are causing shortages. if I didn’t buy a extra food, everyone else still would so It would make no difference. Whatever food I didn’t but someone else would buy it

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
I'm doubtful that you are hoarding, Surf. I'll bet you already had a good amount of food on hand before this whole thing started... and that you have only bought reasonable amounts since then... she shouldn't be mad that your level of normal food on hand is different than other folks'. It is those people who kept less than a 3 day supply that are now stocking up that are the problem.

Now, if someone is purposely buying up food that they will never use with the intention of selling it at a premium to others... yeah, that's a hoarder. I seriously doubt you fall into that category.

Is she jealous that you still have toilet paper???

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »
Last store run to their pharmacy I saw that the shelves were being stocked. Not full but more, you can't do it all at once.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
My sister had admonished me to stop hoarding because there is no food shortage. I had heard previously however that food shortages are likely coming. It’s seems like many shelves are only 1/4 full, the cookie and cracker isles are like that. Some stores are running out of bananas and chicken.

She says people like me are causing shortages. if I didn’t buy a extra food, everyone else still would so It would make no difference. Whatever food I didn’t but someone else would buy it
tell sis to buzz off.  Not your fault others are too stupid to prepare for any sort of emergency.  and i suspect your 'hoard' is much less than a shopping cart for a family of 6 for a month.