Author Topic: RonH2K's 2009 Square Foot Garden  (Read 2318 times)

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
RonH2K's 2009 Square Foot Garden
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
I'm kicking myself now for not paying more attention around my grandparents' garden.  Both sets of grandparents were gardening fools and I didn't give it a second thought at the time.  Fast-forward way too many years and I'm eager to learn.  So, for all intents and purposes, this is my first foray into gardening.

I picked up a copy of Mel Bartholomew's book, All New Square Foot Gardening (http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening/dp/1591862027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245293497&sr=8-1) and didn't stray from that at all.  A careful reading and re-reading of the book, with frequent referring back to it, comprises 99.9% of my gardening knowledge now.

My biggest challenge is definitely the area I have available.  As you will see from the pictures, it is heavily wooded.  Even though it may only barely look like it in the pictures, there is a bit of sun from East, directly overhead, and then again for a period from the West.  I feel that it might just be enough to meet the requirements for what I have planted.  Time will tell.

The latest picture is from a couple of weeks ago.  What a difference a couple of weeks makes.  You would be amazed at how well everything is doing!  The only problem I've had was with a critter getting one of my potato starts and 3 of my 4 lettuce seeds not sprouting (replaced those 3 today, though).  Everything else is looking good.  I'm really looking forward to updating with a new picture in another week or so.

In the meantime, here she is in low-resolution.  Click on the image, if you dare, for a higher-resolution version.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
Re: RonH2K's 2009 Square Foot Garden
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:28:09 PM »
Looks good man...my grandparents were gardeners too...my grandfather actually grew up on a farm.  I have gardened with them as far back as I can remember though.  but for you, it'll be like riding a bike, you'll remember things you heard them say, or saw them do.  Good luck!

Offline anthonyalston

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
Hi,

I was interested in the dimensions of your garden. What are the size of each square and the total size of garden? Also what is the depth?

I'm going to buy the book. I have a small patio at my townhouse and this seems perfect. I'm planning a raised bed (as my patio is concrete) using a barrier between the concrete and my raised bed.

I'm very excited about your garden. Hope that you continue to post on your continuing progress.

Regards, Anthony

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:24 AM »
To avoid the problem that you had with lettuce, plant several sees per hole and then thin out after they come up.  Lettuce seed is very cheap.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
I was interested in the dimensions of your garden. What are the size of each square and the total size of garden? Also what is the depth?

I'm going to buy the book...

My garden is 4' X 4' with each square being one square foot.  Hence the name, Square Foot Gardening.  The depth of the soil is 6".  The board I used is 8" high.  I think it looks better having the soil a couple of inches below the edge of the board.  Easily made the box with two (2), 1" X 8" X 8' boards.

Throw a ~4' X 4' piece of plywood on the bottom (with drain holes, of course) and you'll be set for your patio.  Also, remember that it doesn't have to be 4 squares by 4 squares.  If you only have room for 2 X 2, go for it!

Get the book, it makes it all very clear.  You won't regret it!   ;)

To avoid the problem that you had with lettuce, plant several sees per hole and then thin out after they come up.  Lettuce seed is very cheap.

Mel, the author of the book, is a real "Seed Conservationist".  He practically preaches about not using more seeds than are called for.  I think I probably took him a little too seriously on that count.  LOL!  Yeah, next time, I'll plant extras and thin the herd as necessary.  Good tip!   :D

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
If you use "mel's mix" and decent seeds you'll have a high success rate in germination- holds moisture well without compacting. 

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
Conserving seeds is fine, but weighing having no lettuce and empty spots in the garden versus using an extra 3-4 lettuce seeds at a cost of less than a penny seems like a no brainer.

I too use SFG techniques, but I take some ideas from a lot of places and have my own way of doing things.  Let's say that I am a 90% squarefoot gardener.  ;D

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
OK, here's the latest update.  The kids help me put the radishes in the ground today and I decided to reallocate one of the "squares" from Oregano to more Radishes.  I didn't have much success with starting Oregano indoors and didn't feel like getting a pack of it from the store.  I've updated the write-ups to reflect the change.

The only problem I've had in the last couple of weeks is that something bent the top of my biggest tomato plant over.  I've staked it back up and am anxious to see if it will survive.  Other than that, everything's growing.

8)

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:42:41 PM »
sounds like a good garden plan. I use raised beds and garden intensively, but don't do the square foot thing.
Good luck with it!

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
Ron, looks good!  Thanks for posting the pictures, I love seeing how other people grow veges!

OK, here's the latest update.  The kids help me put the radishes in the ground today and I decided to reallocate one of the "squares" from Oregano to more Radishes.  I didn't have much success with starting Oregano indoors and didn't feel like getting a pack of it from the store.  I've updated the write-ups to reflect the change.

The only problem I've had in the last couple of weeks is that something bent the top of my biggest tomato plant over.  I've staked it back up and am anxious to see if it will survive.  Other than that, everything's growing.

8)