Author Topic: Another wheat production threat  (Read 1539 times)

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
Another wheat production threat
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »

sage0925

Re: Another wheat production threat
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Thanks, Marky, for the heads up...off to the feed store tomorrow. Better get it before the prices skyrocket. This is going to be a bad winter. We don't eat much bread (well, my husband doesn't anyway  :)  ), but we do like our cakes and brownies. Guess I'd better go hunt up the wheat grinder mill thread as well.

Uh...you can get hard wheat from a feed store, can't you? Saw some 25 lb bags at Wally World, but I don't know if they still have them.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
Yep, I'd buy it now. It would not surprise me at all if bread prices go up 50% this winter.

Grain storage levels are already at 50 year lows.

sage0925

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
Oh, bother...food riot hell this winter. Should be interesting in Georgia...I remember when I lived there, if there was a threat of three snowflakes, the stores would be slap out of bread and milk. *shrug* I always had a stock of rice and beans, myself...couldn't see the point to buying white bread in the first place. And I can't drink milk.  :)

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Oh, bother...food riot hell this winter. Should be interesting in Georgia...I remember when I lived there, if there was a threat of three snowflakes, the stores would be slap out of bread and milk. *shrug* I always had a stock of rice and beans, myself...couldn't see the point to buying white bread in the first place. And I can't drink milk.  :)

Haha. I laugh at the people in Toronto (where I currently reside) who get panicked over just five inches of snow. I mean, come on, you can still easily drive through that in a car. You need a good eight inches before the bottom starts to drag seriously and you really have to focus.