Author Topic: The magic ballistics formula that beats out the magnums  (Read 8068 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
The magic ballistics formula that beats out the magnums
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »
After spending time shooting at game from small to large and reloading and sharing information with other shooters over the past 25 years I have come to believe in what I call "the perfect formula" of ballistics for big game hunting.  There are options in just about every caliber from 6.5 MM - 40 cal for this formula to hold true, perfect examples are...

The Swede in 6.5 x 55 with 140 grain bullets
The 270 with 150 Grain Bullets
The 7 Mauser with 160-175 Grain Bullets
The 30s - The 08, the 06 and the 300 Savage with 180-190 grain bullets
The 8 Mauser with 200s
The 338-O6 with 225 Grain Bullets
The 35 Whelan with 250s
The 9.3 x 74 R with 270-290 Grain Bullets
The 375 H&H with 300 Grain Bullets

What do all these "magic rounds" have in common?  Well each has killed far larger game CONSISTENTLY then paper ballistics would indicate.  Consider the 6.5 Swede has killed more moose then any other round on the planet and it is the baby of the bunch.

None of them kick too bad and therefore can easily be handled by most adults and even most well coached kids.  Honestly up to the 35 most teens can learn to shoot them all pretty easy.  Even the 06 ain't hard if proper teaching and technique is used.

Their effectiveness has created cult followings for all of them and their similar rounds like the 260 Remington and 280 Remington for example.

So what is it that makes them really hit the sweet spot, for me it is a sectional density of .270-.290 and a Muzzle Velocity of about 2400-2600 FPS. Rather then blowing the hell out of meat they deliver the right balance of shock and power with out over doing it.  They do not over expand and blow a hole in your good shoulder roasts!  The moderate velocity and high SD are the key. 

Consider taking a pump up pellet gun,  pump it 10 times and shoot a can and it goes right though = no shock.  Pump it 1 time and it knocks the can down and does not penetrate = to weak.  Pump it about 4 times and it knocks the can over and rips a ragged hole in the can even though there is zero expansion.  That is the "sweet spot" for a pellet.

To me your round and others that mimic those numbers are at if for centerfire rifles.  Only the desire to sell more and new guns has created 300 Magnums and such.  A man can take on the world with one or two of the rounds listed above.  Anyone shoot one of these rounds?  If so I bet you would back up that what paper ballistics say about it has little to do with its' lethality in the field.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:16:12 PM by ModernSurvival »
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
Re: The magic ballistics formula that beats out the magnums
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
This is a great list. More people should follow it.

The one cartridge that I'd add to this would be the .257 Roberts which can be used for deer down to varmints depending upon the bullet weight. It is versatile, has low recoil, is effective, etc.

John
KJ4HTR - Technician Class Ham

Offline steel

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »
For awhile I was a fan of the light bullet/high velocity theory.  I guess I was seduced by the fpe numbers those combos would generate on paper.  It wasn't until I took a big 180lb doe one year.  Shot her @ 75yds with a 150grn 30-06 > 3000fps right thru both lungs.  That supervelocity bullet just drilled a .30cal hole thru her with almost no shock and very little expansion.  She must have ran 200yds thru thick woods and left almost no bloodtrail before she ran out of air and expired.   For the next few hunts I handloaded some 6.5x55 140grn softpoints.  My kimber sportsterized swede just loves those long long bullets.  Velocity was in the 2600 range if I remember but it was 3/4in sub moa accurate when I really tried hard.  I took a couple more does with it that year and I never had a deer run more than 75-100 yds and the wound channels/bloodtrails were much larger.  So I guess I agree with your theory on sweet spots.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
When you say "The 30s - The 08, ...". do you mean .308 or .30-08 (not familiar with this round if it exists).

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
When you say "The 30s - The 08, ...". do you mean .308 or .30-08 (not familiar with this round if it exists).

I believe he is talking about the .30 caliber rounds. 30-06, .308, and .300. But just my guess.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline BIG45-70

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »
No 45-70 with 405 grainers? (must admit I'm biased)
"lather, rinse, repeat"

Ithaca 37 | Stevens 300F 22LR | ISSC M22 | Tula SKS | 870 12.5 inch | Kel-Tec Sub 2000 |