Author Topic: Preaching on Survivalism through church...  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Preaching on Survivalism through church...
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
The wife and I attend weekly religious services at a local non-denominational, very contemporary church. The pastor has mentioned in his sermons before that as Christians, our job is to lead by example and help out others who are less fortunate. And through that, brought up the topic of prepping. Just basically said that in an emergency/disaster, we should be able to help out those who need it and show our compassion for others. But to do that, we first need to make sure that we can survive through them. So we need to make sure that we have enough food and water for at least a week. And possibly longer. I don't know how many people this hit home to. But I hope that some people thought about it and stocked up on a few items. Being that we are a rural community, canning, freezing, drying, smoking, and storing of extra food is nothing unheard of. So I would assume that most people have enough to get by for a week.

But the pastor's latest survivalism hints came in the weekly email that I received today:

Recently on a Wednesday night at prayer, I shared that I thought God was showing us that "something big" was going to happen in our world.  I don't know what that exactly is, but we need to be prepared for anything.  My opinion is that it may have something to do with the swine flu.  Are you and your family prepared if you couldn't go anywhere for a week or so?  Food, water, essentials?  We laugh at people who stock up on bread and milk before a big snowstorm...well, please think about stocking up.  If nothing happens, praise God!

Just found it interesting and thought I would share.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
Re: Preaching on Survivalism through church...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
I have a pastor friend who has been in the prepper/survivalist mindset for as long as I have known him (almost 30 years). There is a certain amount of Christian charity to be prepared to offer, "when times get tough, or even if they don't".  He and I are currently in a conversation about where the line, if there is one, should be between helping out others and defending what you have when there is no more for others.

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
Proverbs 21:20
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
...in an emergency/disaster, we should be able to help out those who need it and show our compassion for others. But to do that, we first need to make sure that we can survive through them.

This is an important aspect:  you and your family need to make it through intact, then share any surplus as you deem appropriate.  At the risk of being a "bastage"about it, I'll point out that any dole of supplies represents an opportunity cost for one's own family.  It's a balancing act.

Jack got me thinking with his "here's a pound of rice/wheat; it's what we stockpiled" suggestion -- really made me consider what, if any, obligation I have to neighborhood zombies (here's some rice, mooches!) in contrast to my relationship to nearby preppers.  My next door neighbor (LDS) is absolutely better prepped than I am.  I imagine she might come over to barter for something that got damaged, lost, or was overlooked.  I can't imagine her coming over for a pure begging session.

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.

Great quote.  Thank you (+1)

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Great quote.  Thank you (+1)
Yea, a +1 from me as well.
I spent several years reading one chapter of Proverbs a day completing the book each month.
No matter your faith, Proverbs is one great book.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Well, I am trying to prepare so that if I do have hungry (peaceful and nice) neighbors that I can pass them Ramen.

Seriously, if it can get you through college, it will get you through the PAW.  :D

Offline Gadget

• Senior Survivalist
    • Your Best Defense
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
My like-minded pastor has long commented on big problems coming in the near future, but never on how to prepare for them. I talked to him about some of the principles taught on TSP and Survivalblog and he wanted a seminar put on about it. He allowed me to put on a Friday night class on preparedness back in June to about 30 church members and friends. After the first session, I found that there were a few old survivalists flying under the radar in our congregation that appreciated the class. I'm doing a repeat this Friday for those that couldn't be there for the first one or those that want to hear it again. 

After this, we are going to get together a list of members that have skills that they would be willing to teach and pass on to others such as canning, gardening, auto mechanics, medical skills, self-defense, etc. and do a different class each month for those that are interested.

I thinks its going to be a good thing.

BTW, my pastor even lets me hold my CWP classes at the church. Pretty cool guy!