Author Topic: Cherry Trees  (Read 1525 times)

ChcknRnch

Cherry Trees
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:25:05 PM »
Hey folks,
I am a relatively new poster and I have a couple tree questions for anyone that can help.  I have two cherry trees in the backyard and I was wanting to cut one down to make room for two, maybe three more trees but something occurred to me that I need help on.  The tree I want to cut down is the tree that never produces fruit and until a couple of years ago was really sickly looking; my question is, can I cut it down or is it the pollination tree for my other grafted cherry tree that has been producing very nicely for the last two seasons?  The other question I have is if I keep the fruitless cherry tree can I plant some Paw Paw trees within 10 feet of it?  I am trying to put in more fruit bearing trees and bushes in limited space...  Thanks for the help
James

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Cherry Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:15:50 AM »
With Cherry trees, the answer is "it depends".

Tart cherries are self fruitful, meaning that a single tree should pollinate itself and fruit OK.
Sweet cherries aren't, and need pollen from a different group of cherry, not only a differrent tree but a different kind of tree.

I have some tart cherry trees at my BOL that are hit or miss- either they all are loaded or they all are barren- the blossoms have been smacked by late freezes a few times and no fruit was set.   If you look closely at my avatar you can see a couple of cherries in the foreground - that picture was taken from under the cherry trees a couple of summers ago.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:17:54 AM by cohutt »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »
As for the pawpaw trees, they are usually understory trees in the wild.  However, they usually need full sun to fruit.  This could work well for you though.  They require partial shade when first growing, then in a couple years, they need the full sun.  You could plant a couple pawpaw trees and a couple more cherries.  Then in a couple years when they are all ready, cut that non-producing cherry.  The new cherries should be flowering by then, so you shouldn't take a hit on the production.

Just my 2ยข

ChcknRnch

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. The tree that produces is a grafted tree that has three types; Queen Anne's, Bing, and a sour cherry.  I am thinking now after some of the replies that the other tree is there for the Queen Anne's and the Bings.  I still want to plant the Paw Paws so I hope to start working on that soon.  Here is a picture of the area that I am talking about, that is one of my square foot gardens on the right and my mobile chicken pen on the left.  Well, on second thought, I am working from a Mac and can't seem to upload pics, any ideas?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:08:23 PM »
That tree with multiple types grafted to it should allow it to pollinate the other types on that tree.

As for posting the pics, you have to have them uploaded to some other site on the web.  If you upload them to something like Picassa Web.

ChcknRnch

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
so here are the pics I hope...