Author Topic: Tomato "Stretch Marks"  (Read 4049 times)

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
Tomato "Stretch Marks"
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
Ok, that is my wife's name for this problem, and as I don't know what it is really called, I'll have to go with it.  What I'm running into is that my tomato plants that are producing ripe fruit (which has only been the yellow varieties we planted this year, thus far) all have those "stretch marks" up around the stem of the fruit.  What is this, what causes it, and what can I do to prevent it?  It doesn't seem to do anything to the fruit beyond that immediate area, but it isn't the nicest looking thing.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Tomato "Stretch Marks"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44:53 AM »
I don't know what causes it, but it could be related to how tomatoes will split sometimes.  I've read that over watering can cause splitting.  How often do you water them?

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
Splitting is exactly what it looks like.  I tend to water in the evening, unless it has rained in the last 36 hours.  I'm in N. Central Illinois in case it matters.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Its a combination of the amount they are watered and how fast they grow along with the amount of sun they get.
If they get a long stretch of sunny days followed by a thunderstorm and another sunny day, the sudden growth will often split the skin.
Natural rain is much higher in nitrogen than hose water, so you can get a growth spurt almost anytime after a downpour.
Its completely normal even if it is ugly.
Nothing unhealthy about it though.

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it isn't some type of disease.  The weather has been so goofy this year I didn't know what it might be.  Great Lew Rockwell quote, by the way.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Great Lew Rockwell quote, by the way.

Thank you.
Lew is a great man.