Author Topic: Preparing people to evacuate around the country  (Read 2086 times)

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
Preparing people to evacuate around the country
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
I have been seeing the news that People in parts of California may be asked to evacuate due to fires and
right here on Long Island they have been preparing for Hurricane Danny, which is now barely a tropical storm.
The people on the south shore were told to prepare for evacuation due to flooding.
Once in a while we do get smacked with a good one.

It's just a reminder of the different reasons you may have to get out and why you should be prepared.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Re: Preparing people to evacuate around the country
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:17 AM »
LICB,

How does being on the island affect your evac plans?  Ive only been to NYC once and couldn't imagine trying to bug out of that maze!

BP

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
Basically I plan to stay in place or get out early if the emergency is known in advance.
Everything is a choke point off the island.

I do have one advantage to most people here. I used to drive the Island and the tri-state area a lot so I know a lot of back ways around on and off the Island. No matter what, getting off the island during a true emergency will be next to impossible.

Unless I get a boat, which would basically pull out of the driveway and drive straight less than a mile to the water.
If I can get a good deal on a boat my wife will definitely be all for it.
Or get a helicopter or plane, which would be almost impossible to get to due to the airports being where they are.
 The boat would be the way to go.

If it's a nuclear attack, I'll go out and watch the fireworks for a split second. I'm around 20 miles from Manhattan and to the East is
Brookhaven laboratories. I'll basically be radioactive slag. If I'm at work should it happen I think it would be something along the lines of
"What was....."

I am on the Northshore and up from the water a good height, between me and the water is the village of Sea Cliff which says it all.
When the big storms hit we are pretty sheltered from the sea water. I'd only have to worry about local flooding from rains and overflowing sewers.

We do usually get the brunt of blizzards and snow events while the south shore is usually a little less affected by those, so there is a little bit of a trade off.

I'd rather deal with the snow then the flooding.

We have had a couple of tornadoes and one very small earthquake in the past but they are not common at all.

But hey, you never know.

sarahluker

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
During IKE several people on Galveston island decided that they would wait until the last minute to evacuate to miss the crowd and they are now dead. The surge came in much sooner than they expected and they were stuck.  The coast guard couldn't get to a lot of them.  Please be careful!

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
If there's a storm predicted that will have the ability to wash out my home, I may be going to the midwest for a while.
The east coast will be under water if it gets that bad.

I am about 171 feet above sea level about 1 mile away from the Harbor so I feel pretty confident I'll be ok.
My family has lived in this town since the early 1900's and where we are has been unaffected by tide swells.
The surrounding towns, not so much.
The North Shore of the island is basically hills. The South Shore is a lot flatter and summer storms usually hit the south and come up.
The winter storms generally hit the North a little more as they come more from the west.
We did have a storm that went by and cycled back the went north east. That was interesting.

Where we are, weather does some strange things.

I do appreciate the concern.
I am definitely a leave sooner type of guy. I'll get going if they even hint it is going to be that bad.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
middle of the night is a great time to leave (our experience, anyway). the traffic is much less...

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
Take care of yourself.
If you get cut off from us for a while, let us know as soon as you can that you're ok.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47:02 PM »
middle of the night is a great time to leave (our experience, anyway). the traffic is much less...

Not always the case around here, but usually a lot lighter.

I was coming home from South Jersey one morning, 3:30am and I hit a traffic jam on the Belt Parkway coming through Brooklyn.

People I know from LA (Los Angeles not Louisiana) said they can't wait to get back home because there's less traffic.
They said at least they only have traffic for part of the day.

I'll try to send out an alert should anything happen.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »
Stay safe, and take the bridges if you need to leave, not the tunnel!! :)

What route do you think would be the least congested?  Whitestone Bronx, or Verazano threw Staten Island?  I would assume you would detour Manhattan.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 04:13:44 AM »
Throgs neck Bridge or Whitestone and head north past the city and then go west from there.
Most would probably try to cut across Jersey I would think.

Depends on what was the emergency and where.

The best option might even be to head east and get on a ferry to Connecticut.

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:22:51 AM »
Live on an island... can't go to far. gotta bug in! :-\