Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5671899 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #14340 on: November 04, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
Squash glean. A local farm donates all of the proceeds from their squash and pumpkin patch sales to the food bank and then after Halloween, they donate all the produce from it. So we go into the (muddy) fields and glean it. SweetPea and I picked about 400 pounds of produce and brought a fair bit home. I took some to my friends "B", "J" , "A", "Z" and then my family. The rest of it SweetPea and I hosed off and then put on the porch to dry. We have about 85 of them we brought home.

The varieties we selected to bring home I had a good idea of what they were and I wanted long keepers. I posted the varieties in case you want to get some or come across some to store too.

'Long Island Heirloom'- Medium-large, flattened, medium-ribbed, suggesting a wheel of cheese. Smooth, tan skin, slender woody stem. Deep orange, moderately sweet flesh for pie. Long storage. A beautiful oldie.

'Musque de Provence'- Ribbed, flat, tan fruits are bigger than Long Island Cheese, avg. 8-15 lb. Thick, deep orange, moderately sweet flesh. In France cut wedges are sold in supermarkets and farmers' markets for cooking. Decorative. Late maturity. Long storage. Sometimes called Fairytale in the U.S.

'Jarrahdale' - Medium to large, avg. 6-10 lb., drum-shaped fruit with heavy, rounded ribs and slate-gray skin. Medium-sweet, thick orange flesh of good quality. Long storage.

'Kakai' - Medium-small, avg. 5-8 lb., black-striped pumpkins. After displaying the pumpkins next fall, you can scoop out the large, dark green, completely hull-less seeds, which are absolutely delicious roasted. Kakai is a variety of the Austrian type that yields the valuable green pumpkin seed oil.

'Speckled Hound' (F1) - Yellow-orange, thick, dense flesh with dry matter. Oblate shape with shallow ribbing. Avg. 3-6 lb

'American Tondo' (old, Italian variety) - Pumpkin has deep orange skin with green stripes between the heavy ribs and weighs 6-14 lb. When the fruits are young and small, they are more of a two-tone speckled green and can be eaten like squash.

'Naples Long' (another old, Italian variety) - These large, peanut-shaped squash can weigh 20-25 lb. The skin is a deep green that turns tan in storage. The flesh is bright orange, and the flavor is superb - rich and very sweet. I did not know what these were. I should have grabbed more than 1. But all of the ones I picked, went to the food bank but one.

'Autumn Crown' (which is a miniature Long Island Cheese type) - Fantastic squash with excellent eating quality. Avg. fruit yield is 3-5 fruits per plant. Medium-long vine. Extremely uniform, buff-colored fruit. Combines the attractive skin and flesh characteristics of a butternut with a superior shape and great flavor. Internal color is bright orange with a small seed cavity. Fruits have the aroma of sweet melon when cut. 2-4 lb fruits. This is the variety I got the most of for home.

'Snowball" - Attractive, smooth, round, avg. 2 lb. fruit. Bright white color with dark green stems. Has the ability to hold its white color under stress.

'Turban Squash' - It has golden-yellow flesh and its taste is reminiscent to hazelnut. Its top can be sliced off so it can be hollowed and filled with soup. A larger variety of the buttercup squash, the turban has a bright orange-red rind. Its flesh and storage ability are comparable to the buttercup squash. Use in recipes that call or pie or sugar pumpkin.

Some of our squash at home we are hosing off before storing

'Turban' and 'American Tondo'

'Jarrahdale'

'Autumn Crown'

Cedar

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14341 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
She is so sweet Cedar!

I canned 20 pints of meatloaf last night. My first attempt at this. I was very nervous as to whether they would all seal or not but they DID! I haven't yet (knock on wood) had a jar not seal.

Offline jr doyle

• Prepper
« Reply #14342 on: November 04, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
well this weekend i put up 110 gal. of water, 10 gal. of gas and dehydrated 5 lbs. ea. of corn, peas/carrots, carrots and hash browns. also found cabbage at our local produce stand for $.29/lb so i have a 23 lb. batch of kraut started for around $6! all in all it was a productive weekend! BTW i love this thread! i am not alone and what i do matters! keep prepping TSP!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #14343 on: November 04, 2012, 05:22:37 PM »
Don't forget the additive Pri-G

Already on that :)

been saving up and just ordered PRI-G and the Bung wrench Steve recommends.
Check out the transcript on for Ep 980 for more info.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=37923.0

Offline SuburbanCowboy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14344 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
I ran my new 1911 in IDPA today.  I need to stop getting my thumbs in the way of the slide stop, I locked the slide back a few times mid course.  It was good though because it gave me a chance to clear a few "jams".  I also picked up 200 rounds of .45 at the local WalMart for about $60.  My wife also made enough sausage soup for the rest of the week and enough to freeze for a few months.  I'd call it a good day.

Offline Aeromecca

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14345 on: November 04, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
I put up 75 bushels of corn for my multi fuel pellet stove today in 50 gal barrels, all free.. Last week I recieved another 500 rds of 45acp, up to about 10,000 rds now for my various guns. I made a deal with a neighbor/farmer to plant on my land and I get 120 bushels of free corn a year from now on. I might grind some for mash to run in my still for ethanol/shine. Lake right across the road, plenty of fish, deer and pheasant all over my field. I'm looking at a generator that will run on ethanol and a steam engine. Got a well that's hand pumpable, and a regular wood stove with acres of wood, I might be able to run my tractor ('55 Farmall 300) on ethanol too...Never hurts to think ahead?

Offline Aeromecca

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14346 on: November 04, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
I wish my wife wasn't so scared of the big guns! I got her a BB gun and she is a crack shot on soda cans at 30 feet. I got a Walther P22 for her (she thinks its her's) and she is finally going  to go shoot it soon. I guess she has to crawl before she walks........
My wife prefers the masterpiece arms mini mac9 with the 32 rd sten mags... have 20+ mags and 1,500 rds of federal A Eagle for it

Offline Aeromecca

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14347 on: November 04, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I've been working on a mosin magant carbine, makeing it into a scout rifle. I worked on the stock today.

Got a Nagant myself, I'm going sniper...... 880 rds in spam cans + boxes. Mines full barrel.

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
« Reply #14348 on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
Realized just how far behind I am. I need to get back on track.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14349 on: November 04, 2012, 09:46:50 PM »
Got my kit wired tight.

Got another four bricks of .22LR.

Spent most of the day working on book stuff.  I signed the books Jack Spirko also signed; what a cool way to spend a Sunday evening. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14350 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:52 AM »
went and had a SUPER NICE steak dinner with my wife for our anniversary. i arranged to have flowers waiting at the table and that blew her socks off. always good to prep/maintain/improve the marriage, after all if the SHTF she's going to be the one going through things with me.

got some reading done.

started some new seeds for the fall/winter garden... a little late but i hope they do well.

met few new couples this past week. i think one is on board with prepping based on the social circle i met them in... if not i think they would be easy to convert... convince... whatever you call it.

not sure about the other one but they were nice and we'll be getting together to have dinner with them.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14351 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
Ordered my first batch of edible fish for the 1800 gal aquaponic system at home. 100 4-6” channel catfish due to colder winters here (would rather have tilapia.  Should be in today. If goes well maybe tilapia next year in spring. Paid off one debt. Snowballing towards others. Made cold frames for winter garden.  Hopefully can plant tonight. Cut cable off.

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #14352 on: November 05, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »
From last weekend: finished cleaning old pressure canner, planted 36 muscadines in the vineyard, planted three fruit trees, put two raised bed "to sleep" for the winter, and working on the wife's BOB and updating mine.

Kold

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14353 on: November 05, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
Finances with the DH

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14354 on: November 05, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
planted some herbs that we bought potted last week.

also my wife made the first food item using herbs from our garden! pretty cool knowing i'm eating something i grew.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14355 on: November 06, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »
planted some herbs that we bought potted last week.

also my wife made the first food item using herbs from our garden! pretty cool knowing i'm eating something i grew.

There is nothing like it. We have tried to include at least one aspect of every meal that we produced, made, or harvested ourselves.

Eggs from the chickens, herbs from the garden to add flavor, salad greens for side salad, bread or rolls we made from scratch. We had hoped to do 20-4o% from our garden/mini-farm but that didn't happen with all that was going on heat, no rain. Next year will be better, and we hope to add more from our harvesting. Jack was so right you have a sense of freedom when you produce your own food. We just got 100 catfish for our aquaponics setup, so hopefully we will be adding fish to our list of harvesting next year.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14356 on: November 06, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
There is nothing like it. We have tried to include at least one aspect of every meal that we produced, made, or harvested ourselves.

Eggs from the chickens, herbs from the garden to add flavor, salad greens for side salad, bread or rolls we made from scratch. We had hoped to do 20-4o% from our garden/mini-farm but that didn't happen with all that was going on heat, no rain. Next year will be better, and we hope to add more from our harvesting. Jack was so right you have a sense of freedom when you produce your own food. We just got 100 catfish for our aquaponics setup, so hopefully we will be adding fish to our list of harvesting next year.

while aquaponics is really interesting and i would love to do it, i think my wife would kill me if i tried to get that going :)

i did however get her approval for a worm farm/tower/bin. after spending some time on youtube last night i'll be constructing one on the cheap in the next couple of days.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14357 on: November 06, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
Mine was oppsed too. So i made a 110 gal one in the greehouse one weekend she was gone. She changed her mind after seeing results.  I later put an aquarium inside with a vew leafy veggies a cucumber and a tomato in it. If you have kids is a great "science fair project" or just entertainment for kids. My worm bin didn't turn out as well. MOE. Major Operator Error. Did somethign wrong. will try again when have more time. I have a simple setup for aquaponics here with pics.

http://beachfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/2012/08/indoor-update-and-outdoor-update.html

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #14358 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
2 1/2 cords of wood split and stacked

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14359 on: November 06, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
Piddled around. I hate when you cant get anything done.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #14360 on: November 06, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
The things I can think of I did since the last time I posted...

Well, I cashed in some gold jewelry for a bath since I needed gas money and had nothing else to use for it. Got $93 for 4.5 grams worth of 14K white gold rings — when spot is around $32/gram (and I got $20/gram).

I am not going to fret over it, I got rid of unwanted memories, and enough money for food and gas until payday. I used it for what I had intended to use it for — when I had exhausted the normal options when I am flat broke (rolling up the change jar, selling crap on craigslist etc).

I did not shop around either, just went to the place a block from where I work and did it with the quickness.

I was able to help out a girl I am seeing when she called me asking where she could find winter boots in her son's size — and I just happened to have a pair of my son's outgrown winter boots sitting on a shelf wondering what to do with them! So now I have a place to send all of his outgrown clothing since I typically give that kind of stuff away to people I know can use it vs. trying to sell it or taking it to the thrift store. People with kids can use all the free garb they can find!

I sat down with my pile of bills and updated my budget spreadsheets and created a much nicer spreadsheet for my checking account. I am finding that using Google Spreadsheets is much easier for me than Quicken or any other accounting software, for the sole reason that I can customize it completely how I want to use it and track things.

I am finding that using Google Docs is working for me for that because I can update it anywhere I am via computer or cell phone whenever I want. Lack of portability, especially when traveling has always been the reason I abandon accounting software and neglect updating accounts until they become so far behind that it just makes more sense to start from scratch again.

Made significant progress in my job search — and in good time too since the s#!tty company I work for just took away our health benefits and replaced them with some god awful High Deductible insurance plan with a $5,000 deductable that pays ZERO until you meet the deductible, and then only 80% of expenses AFTER you meet that. Based on how much my daughter sees the doctor I will be bankrupt by spring if I don't get out of this company ASAP.

Oh yeah — and to "offset" those costs these a-holes gave us raises that are the equivalent of an extra $10 a week in my paycheck!!!!

Yeah, I'll be finding a new job where I'll be getting an extra $200 a week before the end of the year it seems.

Nice way to treat an employee who worked for your rathole for 2.5 years! I make less overall than I did when I started here when you factor it all in.

Wow, looks like I did a bit more than I originally thought I had in the last week or so once I started thinking about it!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Since I have LOST my damn coupon binder about 4 times in the past whenever I get into "extreme couponing" mode — I found a nice binder in my house and went to Staples to get some baseball card inserts to start the whole coupon binder once again! I am planning on doing my first "planned" grocery trip since I became single last spring sometime this week or early next.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14361 on: November 06, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
i voted, paid attention to the local stuff and chose people who i thought will be good. i'll be watching...

i also planted a pot with some seeds of lettuce for my sister. i did it on a whim before she left. i hope her seeing them grow and then eating them will start to open her eyes... i'm afraid my parents will never understand why i prep... my sister on the other hand seems receptive... she just needs the right push.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #14362 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
Voted.  Researched on HF transceivers & go boxes.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14363 on: November 06, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
Voted, although felt like I was at the circus will all the a$$ clowns on the ballat.

Was sad really. Daughter came home (6th gd) and was telling me about what they learned in school about the elections. She had no idea there wee other parties or candidates besides republican and democrat. Felt it was a sad day that his is the education system and how early they attempt to corrupt.

So as my second part of prep on Election Day was to reeducate my kids on what is really out there and that their vote does matter, that there is more than just red and blue.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14364 on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
i heard on the radio today a lot of people we're taking their kids to the polls with them... i think i'll be doing that in the future... hell, i'll even pull my kids out of class for a bit to take them. educate them on their civic duty the correct way.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14365 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Voted. Put up a BUNCH of cauliflower for the freezer from a glean I did yesterday and too tired to deal with it last night. Donated the rest of my share of cauliflower to the local food bank. Brought home a fruit press and another bucket of apples to make apple juice/cider/vinegar tomorrow.

Cedar

Cedar

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #14366 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
Voted. Iam thrilled I cold participate in strenghting the 2nd amendent language in my state of Louisiana. Learn to make pesto tonight and learned just how simple it is. I used it to mix with the spaghetti squash my DW cooked. Started brain storming on planting a useful hedge row to start replacing the fence in the back yard.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14367 on: November 07, 2012, 04:22:24 AM »
i heard on the radio today a lot of people we're taking their kids to the polls with them... i think i'll be doing that in the future... hell, i'll even pull my kids out of class for a bit to take them. educate them on their civic duty the correct way.

We vote at our schools so they close school on Election Day. When my son was younger I would take him. This year he slept in an DH and I had to go early. I asked who he would have voted for and he said Ron Paul and he had SOLID reasons.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #14368 on: November 07, 2012, 08:53:51 AM »
I don't think I can count "voting" as something I did to "prep"

But I just threw my vote away instead of voting for some douche.

Now, buying guns and ammo because of the election results? That counts as "prepping" in my book!

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #14369 on: November 07, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
I found a great buy on chicken. 40 pounds of chicken breasts for $51. My daughter and I each bought 40 pounds, and I taught her hoe to can it. We put up 72 pints of chicken 8 quarts of chicken soup, and I am now making lots of stock from the trimmings. It was a great bonding time, and we put up some great food storage. I was able to talk to her about Preparedness.