Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5791553 times)

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #13860 on: September 13, 2012, 08:17:08 AM »
Attempted to change the mindset of friends and family on what a “prepper” is through my blog. After reading it was actually contact that they want to change from a grasshopper state. SHOCKED.

http://beachfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/2012/09/one-of-people.html

Made arrangements for bulk buy 55 gal water barrels with some local preppers. We didn’t realize how much water we really needed and were lacking.

Read more on LDS prepper manual. It is frickin great. Found it in this form. Link here to download. Step by step, easy to read. We are not LDS or even real religious people but this was a great free manual to start and point out things we didn’t even think about. Beware, 200 pgs before you print. Wife printed at work. One of her "perks" she says.

http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13861 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
Water preps can be surprising.  I've got a modest 3x 55gal rain catchment system that I used for the garden.  It lasts barely a week for light watering of my suburban yard.  Fortunately I live in rainy western Washington, and there are many lakes and rivers in walking distance.  Problem is making that water potable.

Our local feed store sells the surplus soda pop barrels in 15, 30 and 55 gallons.  I keep a couple of the small ones filled up with purified water, but I realize that's barely 2 weeks for the whole family.  I thought about stashing several under the hose and rigging a pump system, but then I did the math, and it really wasn't cost effective.  At the very least make sure you have a means to boil large volumes of water.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #13862 on: September 13, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
Taking the middle child hunting for deer this afternoon.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #13863 on: September 13, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
After waiting for a down day, shifted my positions in paper silver from SILV to SIVR with some trailing loss orders to increase my net "ounces" owned - albeit paper. The sometimes active trader in me wants to cash in some gains on the 4.5% up day today... but the prepper in me says take the extra ounces and wait.

Taking the middle child hunting for deer this afternoon.
Where is it deer season already?

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #13864 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
After waiting for a down day, shifted my positions in paper silver from SILV to SIVR with some trailing loss orders to increase my net "ounces" owned - albeit paper. The sometimes active trader in me wants to cash in some gains on the 4.5% up day today... but the prepper in me says take the extra ounces and wait.
Where is it deer season already?

Indiana, almost got me one last night. Although I wasn't hunting, and it would have been with the car. Upside free meat. Downside would have probably totaled car. Other upside, no more car payment. Such choices.

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #13865 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Made a contact through freecycle to get some cuttings from their fig tree.

Collected a ton of cardboard to start a sheet mulching project in some of the common area behind my townhouse. It's out of the way & very secluded, no one from the HOA ever goes back there so I am hoping to get away with this one.  I'll stick to edible greens & edible/medicinal flowers so it will look pretty & non-offensive.

Continuing to experiment with a small worm bin. If I can keep them alive & happy for another month then I will expand it to a bigger unit. So far the little critters are happy & actually laying some eggs/cocoons.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #13866 on: September 13, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »
Collected a ton of cardboard to start a sheet mulching project in some of the common area behind my townhouse. It's out of the way & very secluded, no one from the HOA ever goes back there so I am hoping to get away with this one.  I'll stick to edible greens & edible/medicinal flowers so it will look pretty & non-offensive.

Continuing to experiment with a small worm bin. If I can keep them alive & happy for another month then I will expand it to a bigger unit. So far the little critters are happy & actually laying some eggs/cocoons.
I LOVE IT!!! Kick the Highly Outrageous Association in the teeth while they smile at the pretty flowers. I don't like HOAs, but I live under one. That said, I  have a strong coalition of neighbors who are willing to keep a) making the HOA leadership jobs sound immensely non-appealing and b) taking one for the team and volunteering to do the jobs. I think I might be the President next year - talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. I had been thinking along the same lines... refresh our neighborhood plants/flowers that regularly get deer-decimated with native edibles/medicinals that have been bred to stand up to the four-legged meals in our neighborhood.

Do you have your worm bin in the garage? I want to do one, but my boss(wife) thinks it will stink/be gross. I need some first-hand accounts to the contrary or confirmation that she's right.

By the way, in my previous post I meant SLV nov SILV... SILV is for a mining company.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13867 on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
FUEL:

Got a 15 gallon blue soda barrel as mentioned in today's podcast for $10.00 cash.  It previously held Dr. Pepper (label and smell is evidence).
Also stopped by walmart and got the siphon rigged up, and grabbed a kerosene lamp there for $7.  I'd wanted a kero lamp since I grabbed 20 gallons of kerosene at a yard sale for $10. 

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13868 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
purchased a camillus carnivore from wallymart for 27 bucks, then threw away the sheath and made one out of kydex with p-cord wrapped around the sheath. I got a good sturdy knife and a great sheath all for under 40 bucks! and camillus gives a LIFETIME return policy in case i beat the sh!t out of it!

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #13869 on: September 13, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
AngusBangus:
Yup, some other neighbors have been planting "flowers" back there also. The same neighbors who are taking hubby & I to the range for the first time!

The worm bin I have now is in the house. It's about twice the size of one of those plastic shoe boxes. No smell at all. If you dig in to the damp newspaper down to the castings is smells like...a forest floor. Earthy and sweet. Totally doable in the house.
Eriko

I LOVE IT!!! Kick the Highly Outrageous Association in the teeth while they smile at the pretty flowers. I don't like HOAs, but I live under one. That said, I  have a strong coalition of neighbors who are willing to keep a) making the HOA leadership jobs sound immensely non-appealing and b) taking one for the team and volunteering to do the jobs. I think I might be the President next year - talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. I had been thinking along the same lines... refresh our neighborhood plants/flowers that regularly get deer-decimated with native edibles/medicinals that have been bred to stand up to the four-legged meals in our neighborhood.

Do you have your worm bin in the garage? I want to do one, but my boss(wife) thinks it will stink/be gross. I need some first-hand accounts to the contrary or confirmation that she's right.

By the way, in my previous post I meant SLV nov SILV... SILV is for a mining company.

Offline whatmecrazy

• Prepper
  • Call me Keith, Ray, or Crazy Ray.. doesn't matter.
« Reply #13870 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
I put some food in buckets, bought .30-06 ammo, and harvested and canned some food

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #13871 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
Went to Costco and picked up some tuna, 5#s of sugar, and 20#s of flour, took them home, and vacuum sealed them in smaller bags.  I looked at the label on a 10# sack of flour, and it is something like 150 servings at 110 calories/serving.  2 bags of organic unbleached flour was 10.99, plus a buck or two for the vacuum bags.  That's 33000 calories for $13! We are finally getting to the point that I can afford to sneak in some food stores beyond copy-canning, so I want bang for the buck right now.  Under $20 in flour, sugar, and bags is almost 2 weeks of nutrition for 2 people! (would have been cheaper had I not gone with the organic flour too) Not tasty by themselves, but will calorically spread the rest of our stores out a lot.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #13872 on: September 14, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
I ordered some more LTFS from emergency essentials. All this kahos in the middle east is only going to drive prices of food a other items up.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13873 on: September 14, 2012, 06:00:58 AM »
Shredded more old financial documents I no longer need. 3 trash bags full. At least I won't be lugging a punch of papers I don't need to the next house.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13874 on: September 14, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
Redid/Updated the list with all the valuable appliances serial numbers

Offline burbsteader

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13875 on: September 14, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Ordered 50# quinoa, stocked up on a few things that were on sale-spaghetti sauce, coconut milk, beans. Bought a sampling of several rice varieties I've never tried before. One son doesn't like rice, so I'm hoping I can find a type that appeals to him. No sense stocking up on a bunch of rice if he's not going to eat it.

Trying to get another sourdough starter going. Put out a couple of jars in different places to see if I can capture a good yeast. Last time I got a nice mild starter.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13876 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Just finished truing to scrub the pickle smell out of half a dozen buckets.    :o

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13877 on: September 14, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »
I rotated the gasoline stores and picked up some extra LTS items on sale at the grocery store.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13878 on: September 14, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
 I work with a guy whose family buys and sells at fleamarkets, auctions, and Ebay. They get LOTS of goodies.  ;D Today they sold me 4 REALLY clean jerry cans for 40 bucks. Now I have a reason to get that hitch mount rack for the back of the truck.  ;)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #13879 on: September 14, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
KICKIN' IT OLD SCHOOL!
listening to the old podcasts starting with episode 1.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #13880 on: September 14, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
Made two loaves of pumpkin bread (new recipe test). The best part? I had all the necessary ingredients already in my storage.

Added two maps to the car I know I will need in the future.

Offline whatmecrazy

• Prepper
  • Call me Keith, Ray, or Crazy Ray.. doesn't matter.
« Reply #13881 on: September 14, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
Learned some more permaculture founding concepts, filled up some NATO water cans, harvested some food from the garden, and made room for food storage.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13882 on: September 15, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
Cleaned, sorted, inventoried my GHB and assorted items in the trunk of the Tacura ("Tacura" being the "tactical Acura," a reference to my car in a book some of you have read.)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #13883 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
Butchered 7 chickens and cleaned out the chicken coop. Got the rest of the chickens sorted out for breeding. Listened to podcasts while I worked.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13884 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »
over the last few days:

2 more gas cans
stabil
funnels for the cars and generator because these new gas cans truly suck
new jumper cables for the husbands car
stocked up a little on shampoo and conditioner
added some items to the pantry

thats all I can remember right now

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13885 on: September 15, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »
Picked hundreds of pounds of broccoli. Not sure yet how much I brought home until I start processing it.

Cedar

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #13886 on: September 15, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »
It rained heavily today here in Houston and I noticed that my rain barrel was not filling. So, after the rain stopped, I disassembled the connection to the rain spout. It was entirely clogged with dirt. The hose to the rain barrel was also entirely clogged with dirt. So, after cleaning everything, I am confident the barrel will fill a little faster now. ;-)

I ordered a sling kit for my 10/22 takedown. This will be my first ever gun modification. OK, second. I mounted a flashlight to my shotgun. However, this will involve drilling into the stock which is a little intimidating.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #13887 on: September 15, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
Cooked and picked the meat off 40 lbs of sale chicken. 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13888 on: September 15, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
Pistol training with my .22 S&W M&P.  Broke in my new training holster for this gun.  Shot with a member of the Team (that makes sense for people who have read a certain book recently).

Got a big prepping day ahead of me on Sunday.  I'll report in after it happens.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13889 on: September 15, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »
Cooked and picked the meat off 40 lbs of sale chicken.

I am not envious.. that is alot of chicken to debone. I ended up with 72 pints of broc in the freezer.

Cedar