Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5845556 times)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #14310 on: October 30, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
Picked more apples.. compiling enough to do one squishing at once and hope to get many gallons.

Cedar

Compiling and squishing don't sound very tasty apple cidery to me.  ;)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14311 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Teaching youngest son how to sew - while I don't expect them to win any quilting bees (although they aren't half bad with a sewing machine), I do expect all of my boys to at least know how to sew on a button and mend a simple tear.  And I'm making an extra big batch of chili to be put up for winter.  DH and oldest DS are out deer hunting.

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #14312 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Put up 20lbs. of Basmati Rice in Mylar with 02 absorbers.  Just the start of my LTS.  "Basic" Rotational storage is at about 3 months, but I'll sleep better with $100-200 in LTS backing all of that up.  A few thousand more rounds of 9mm, 7.62, and 22lr would help, but that will have to wait for now.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #14313 on: October 31, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »
Building process begins today on our homestead :)  Soon we will have a place to call our own and can return to LTS practices we have had to put on hold. Property will include a small underground storage/tornado shelter and a private shooting range made from the dirt being dug out for our foundation. Very exciting times ahead!!

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14314 on: October 31, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
Have been using my preps due to the storm. My father has power and internet. Internet being the key word here so I am able to work from home.
I told my boss, my bus is running but there is no way I am going in and having a chance of getting stuck.
Basically everyone is working from home. i couldn't drive to the West Chester office because they won't have room. So it' home I stay.

Since my dad has power i borrowed his 1000watt inverter so I have quiet juice during the evening hours and it's better than my 400 watt.

One night of running with that and the wife asked "How much do those cost?" I told her and she said we'll have to get one. I told her about setting up deep cycle batteries etc, etc and she said I should work on that.

With every storm, she appreciates what I do prepping wise more and more.

Like the Heater Buddy I whipped out this morning to take the chill off.

So in my using preps, I guess I prepped my having my wife approve even more.

Offline desertmarine

• Prepper
  • Certified Master Herbalist
    • My Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #14315 on: October 31, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
Today is did what I do every single day. 

1.  Fed all of my animals- Rahmani sheep, Shami goats, Muscovy & Mallard ducks and Fayoumi chickens. 
2.  Watered my 10 raised bed garden.  Got some nice cucumbers and zucchini flowering as we speak.
3.  Roasted a Rahmani Sheep that I slaughtered on Friday.  We'll be eat sheep for about another 10 days.   
4.  Prepping the pens for our next flock of Rahmani and Baladi sheep.  We expect to get about 20-30 lambs real soon.

Other than that, that's it in terms of living (prepping).

Desert Marine

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #14316 on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Today is did what I do every single day. 

1.  Fed all of my animals- Rahmani sheep, Shami goats, Muscovy & Mallard ducks and Fayoumi chickens. 
2.  Watered my 10 raised bed garden.  Got some nice cucumbers and zucchini flowering as we speak.
3.  Roasted a Rahmani Sheep that I slaughtered on Friday.  We'll be eat sheep for about another 10 days.   
4.  Prepping the pens for our next flock of Rahmani and Baladi sheep.  We expect to get about 20-30 lambs real soon.

Other than that, that's it in terms of living (prepping).

Desert Marine
Curious... are you raising those sheep/goats in Egypt or Texas? Baladi/Rhamani/Shami are all middle-eastern.

Offline desertmarine

• Prepper
  • Certified Master Herbalist
    • My Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #14317 on: October 31, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
Curious... are you raising those sheep/goats in Egypt or Texas? Baladi/Rhamani/Shami are all middle-eastern.

We are currently in Egypt one of the best places to be during the Winter.  Will be heading up to Hurghadah, South Sinai on Sunday for a week. 

Desert Marine

Offline Jayceratops

• Prepper
« Reply #14318 on: October 31, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
a few pairs of work gloves...not much but they were free.

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #14319 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
Been going gangbusters on basement organization. We also bought close to 200lbs of wheat based food preps and sealed them for deep storage.

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #14320 on: October 31, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
Rotated 1/3 of my water stores.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14321 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »
Rotated gas out of my 55 gal tank to the pickup. Need to get it empty so I can refill the tank with the cheaper gas while I can.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14322 on: October 31, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Went to a local thrift store that has 50% off the last Wednesday of the month. Among other clothes, a couple pairs of pants to wear in the shop at work and a couple of fleeces that might go to work fleeces or emergency kits.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #14323 on: November 01, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
Well, I actually was trying to find somewhere to post this, but made my decision after some thought.

We found out Friday that we are expecting a baby. Currently just over 5 weeks, and will be due June 27, 2013.

I didn't think of this as a prep at first, and laughed at the idea, but after seeing the changes in my life in the few days that I have known about my unborn child it is astonishing. You never really know the capacity of love. You feel like you really love someone as much as physically possible, but then you wake up the next day and discover a new level of love. When I see my lovely wife, and think about "bean" as we have nicknamed the baby, it lights up my world. This kind of happiness has to be a prep. It has made my life better, and it will if times get tough, or not. I am a very proud, excited expecting father.

On another note, this new has fired me up on some things that I needed to get done. I went out Tuesday and got the 4x4 in the truck fixed just in case. Especially with the crazy ass weather right now. I found I have an intake gasket leaking, getting that fixed next week, and started looking at some new tires and shocks. Also going to have the ball joints changed out just in case. Started paying more attention to the food stores and added in some new LTS as well as expanded some of the rotating stock numbers as well as some meat to the freezer. Started picking up wipes and such, with diapers coming very soon. Grabbed a new blood glucose meter that is more accurate. Found a new recipe that uses white rice that can easily be made in the bakepacker. Expanded the water stores another 5 gallons. Also added some more diabetic supplies.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #14324 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »
Congrat's SteveandTracy!

I haven't posted on this topic in a while with any updates on what I've done to prep lately...

I'll list a few things going backward in time starting with tomorrow.

1. Obtain a free working 5.0 CF chest freezer.
2. Purchased a barely ever used Honda EX1000 Generator from Craigslist for $220.
3. Repair 4x4 vacuum lines + snow tires + oil change on truck.
4. Pantry stock up + inventory. We have enough food for 4-6 weeks of good eating plus an additional 4-6 weeks of cheap sustenance (ramen + rice + beans).
5. Return home from my summer work. Now my wife, dog and I are all home and within 8 miles of each other at any given moment (as opposed to me being 100+ miles from home and my wife being 500+ miles from home.
6. Learned to use a forklift.
7. All that was in the past week...l can't remember much past that right now, so I'll stop there.

nelson96

« Reply #14325 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Leaving to go on my elk hunt tonight, wish me luck.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14326 on: November 01, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
Inventoried ammo. Unplugged unused items to reduce power bill. Installed corner fan to better circulate heat from fireplace. Canceled cable and gym membetship since never watch tv or go to gym. Made budget and debt reduction plan.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #14327 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
I made the monthly Costco run, rotated the gasoline stores and picked up a few extra LTS items on sale at the grocery store.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14328 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Do you have your worm bin in the garage? I want to do one, but my boss(wife) thinks it will stink/be gross. I need some first-hand accounts to the contrary or confirmation that she's right.
Having a worm bin is dirt simple :)
Get two plastic crates (may want to get some on rollers if you will be making a lot). Put lots of small holes in the bottom of one and place it inside the other one with a lid. Put in shredded newspaper, a little dirt (a little used coffee grounds are good as well), some kitchen scraps (not meat or grease), a little water to moisten it all, and red wigglers (many farm or feed stores have them). Mix it all some and cover. In a few days you'll notice the scrapes breaking down and the worms pooping from eating the bacteria. Can collect compost tea in the bottom of the outside bin from time to time to feed plants.
Having in a garage should be fine. Shouldn't get any noticeable smell. If you do, you may have added too much water or it's too dry.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #14329 on: November 03, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
Passed Tech and General ham tests this morning.  Currently considering my next step on this road.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #14330 on: November 03, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
picked up some 15gallon drums for fuel... now i just need to buy the bung wrench and fill them up.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #14331 on: November 03, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
picked up some 15gallon drums for fuel... now i just need to buy the bung wrench and fill them up.

Don't forget the additive Pri-G (http://www.amazon.com/PRI-G-oz-Fuel-Stabilizer--Gasoline/dp/B0000AXY97/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351968250&sr=8-2&keyword) and make sure to have a siphon set-up.

I did the same prep prior to Sandy visiting us and it did pay off big time...

Stay safe!

Offline sacramentosurvival

• Prepper
« Reply #14332 on: November 03, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
After reading 299 Days I bought 20 lbs of instant pancake mix. Read the nutritional info, it's a whole food and only needs water

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #14333 on: November 03, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Re-doing 72 bag (going to post on forum for help on this one), got 8 gallons of water, 12 pack of ramen noodles and two pounds of rice. 

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14334 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
With the fallout from Sandy I have been quietly preaching the gospel and people are finally realizing
maybe i am not the crazy one. By showing other people the way I am hopefully allowing them to be able to aid in a crisis and not
be a burden or look to me for stuff.

Give a person a prep and they will be back for more.
Teach a person to prep and they are changed for life.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #14335 on: November 03, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
With the fallout from Sandy I have been quietly preaching the gospel
I've been doing the same. For one who has lived on the Texas gulf coast for 21 years, I am amazed at the damage of a Cat 1 hurricane on NJ/NY. Of course, they are not used to what we are used to. Still, for a telegraphed punch like Sandy, you would think that 3 days of survival without government assistance would be expected.

Of course, I was such a grasshopper before Katrina and Rita. I learned my lesson during Ike. If a hurricane comes this way, there is no way I would be begging for government assistance after 72 hours, much less a week. After a month, I'd be looking for gasoline for my generator, depending upon the temperature.

I am not engaging in schadenfreude (delight in others misfortune). I am merely using their example as why the rest of us need to prepare, a minimum of 72 hours without any outside support. Hell, I would feel like a failed man if I could not isolate my house from water, food, power, sanitation, security, medical and finances without any impact for 72 hours. Hell, seven days, 14 days, 30 days, I think I could manage (security aside, I have to sleep). No one in my family, including my pets, is going to dehydrate, go hungry, be without a flashlight, not have a place to go to the bathroom, be threatened by a looter (bring it dude, meet Mr. 870), lack for bandages, or not have cash to buy whatever they need.

The bottom line is, in the words of Rahm Emanuel, never let a crisis go to waste. Use it to teach others what can happen when you are not prepared and rely on the government to save you.

Offline NO2ANWO

• Prepper
« Reply #14336 on: November 04, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »
well i had a scare that became a kind of prep so bear with me as i lay out the timeline,
On Nov 1 i was activated by my state for relief actions(i am in the national guard)
sometime after lunch i started having pain in my lower right abdomen,no biggy i thought just gas or somethin.
Nov 2 the pain not only hasnt gone away but is worse and now i cant eat or drink anything so upon returning to out base of operations i went to see the medics
they immediatly sent me to the hospital and there i was diagnosed with acute appendicitis
sometime around 10pm Nov 2 i was put under and had my appendix removed
i think of this as a prep because if this had happened after TSHTF would i even have been able to get the required treatment before my appendix burst and caused my death

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #14337 on: November 04, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
had a good discussion with my parents about what they would do if there was a large-scale disaster in our area

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #14338 on: November 04, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
i think of this as a prep because if this had happened after TSHTF would i even have been able to get the required treatment before my appendix burst and caused my death

death = did not survive  Yep, having that bad appendix out is a perfectly cromulent prep.  Glad you're doing better NO2ANWO.  Glad you're still with us!

ob what did I do, tested a half-dozen am/fm/sw radios that are slated for Christmas presents.  Carefully pull out of box... all parts there, check.  Stuff in batteries... powers up, check.  FM... check.  AM.... check.  SW.... check.  Re-tune to 870 AM WWL so that when the recipients first turn them on, they'll immediately hear something.  Power down.  Pull batts.  Carefully repack.  Open spool antenna box.... whip antenna adapter there, check.  Repack.  Wash, rinse, repeat 6X.

Took the better part of an hour.  But dammit, I'm not giving emergency radios to family & friends without testing them first.

Offline Engineer

• Prepper
  • No Turkey Talkin' Here
« Reply #14339 on: November 04, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
I did something new today.  I made my first purchase of silver.  10 oz. of American Silver Eagles are on their way.   Shhhhh...... Can't tell the wife.  :-X