Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4142520 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #23880 on: March 18, 2017, 06:34:43 AM »
MountainMomma,Karma.

Dog and I ate bacon from a can and pan fried butternut squash for breakfast.
 I found some members long term storage foods were ready to rotate out.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #23881 on: March 18, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
Knitted. I havent knitted in a while...

Same here, and it really is good for my head, so I've been working on a DNA scarf for the past week. 

Only frogged it once so far...

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23882 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
not really what I did "just" today.... but so far for this year, I've quit smoking, have tried & tested & got the kids cooking Chef Keith's recipes, took my saved cash and did a huge shopping trip stocking up on everything storable that we eat all the time.  Pasta & rice, canned & dry beans, tomatoes, veggies, fruits, meats, etc-etc..  Not as much as I should have but more than most!

Dug some of my canning stuff out of storage, got my bread machine (cheating I know) out and working, found my pressure canner, need to test that out still.  I always cook in HUGE batches.  Am going to start canning the leftovers.  I used to do this, just way out of practice! 

Right now I'm researching and trying to decide on which to implement into my families diet first.....  Homemade yogurt/cheeses (which will have to come from store bought milk :( , fermented veggies, sourdough bread......  any suggestions, constructive criticism or opinions appreciated.

Great post.  8) I quit a year ago July, after smoking about 48 years. I have my days, but you can-do-it
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #23883 on: March 18, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
Didn't work on my forgery reconstruction today, it was raining all day. I was in the workshop, finishing some small annoying products (9th century leg straps, had to make tiny buckles and fittings and belt-ends....I had their basic forms forged already, but it was lot of filing and fitting yet), good for practicing fine metalworking skills. Also finished a dagger that I've had laying aside for more than 10 years. It's the Fairburn-Sykes Commandos style dagger, blade is exact size and shape of the original, while the usual heavy brass hilt is made of cocobollo wood on mine. Guard and pommel are steel. Lightweight, needle-pointed, very sharp and deadly. I think I have a new carry blade. Need to make a sheath yet.
Doing my best to get together enough money for a tactical plate carrier and plates, so I'm working on orders nearly all the time. Next week I'll be making several knives again.

Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #23884 on: March 18, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
SORRY, but I have to brag....  I visited my 91 YO grandmother today and she twisted my arm (not really) to dig up four bare-root Concord Grape vines.  As long as I can remember I have drank juice gleaned from these vines and in my opinion it is the best I've ever tasted.

The best part...  These are vines that my great-great grandmother gave to my great grandmother (my living grandmothers mom) as a gift some 100 years ago.  Nobody can say if these were from vines that she had for a period of time, so we can only say that these are at least 100 years old.   

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23885 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
SORRY, but I have to brag....  I visited my 91 YO grandmother today and she twisted my arm (not really) to dig up four bare-root Concord Grape vines.  As long as I can remember I have drank juice gleaned from these vines and in my opinion it is the best I've ever tasted.

The best part...  These are vines that my great-great grandmother gave to my great grandmother (my living grandmothers mom) as a gift some 100 years ago.  Nobody can say if these were from vines that she had for a period of time, so we can only say that these are at least 100 years old.

this is amazing, how nice to have a crop the family has been growing for generations. Maybe once you have them established, and need to prune, you can offer  few of us cuttings so we can spread this great variety around !
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23886 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
this is amazing, how nice to have a crop the family has been growing for generations. Maybe once you have them established, and need to prune, you can offer  few of us cuttings so we can spread this great variety around !

Would be happy to.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23887 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »

Aargh....  Where to put said vines for a permanent (possibly another 100 years) home that will be appreciated by us and future land owners.

I didn't mention that my Grandmother has lived on her creek for 88 years, except for a short time living in San Diego as a Rosie the Riveter while my Grandfather was in the Navy.  She has lived in various houses not more than a few hundred yards from where she lives right now.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23888 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
Awesome about the grape vines.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23889 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »
garden: Transplanted out 1/2 of the onion bed area with the New York Early that I had started from seed, 64 plants. Soaked 2 types of sugar snap pea seeds 24 hours then put into potting soil in the green house very thickly, almost touching -- the idea is to get them sprouted and up before setting out. Between bugs and birds I generally get from 60-90% losses when I direct seed.

Some more knitting. I am making bunnies (small stuffed toys)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23890 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »
I almost responded to a couple political threads here on TSP, but remembered I don't have to care.

It was tough deleting half a page of text - but it's for the best :)

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23891 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
Grinding wheat berries and coffee beans today while working in the shop.
Flour and coffee stash in the house is way low.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23892 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
Awesome about the grape vines.

Thanks Stwood.  I decided to keep them in planters for now, to establish a better root system.  Two of the four didn't have roots at all.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23893 on: March 20, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
  I just started work on my TRC-1 Tactical Radio Carrier http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=60076.0 and am really
impressed with the workmanship and responsive representative who answered my questions well.I hope to finish the project in a day or two.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23894 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Thanks Stwood.  I decided to keep them in planters for now, to establish a better root system.  Two of the four didn't have roots at all.

Hope they survive for you. Grapes seem to be tough for us. Never has worked out.
We brought some cuttings home again last year. Of the four, two are completely gone.
Didn't survive the winter and the critters. One is still attached to it's apparent roots, but didn't do anything after transplanting. Looks like a dead vine.
Fourth is out in the woods and can't find it. We grafted it onto a wild vine. Maybe we just haven't stumbled in the right direction. Lol

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23895 on: March 20, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
Hope they survive for you. Grapes seem to be tough for us. Never has worked out.
We brought some cuttings home again last year. Of the four, two are completely gone.
Didn't survive the winter and the critters. One is still attached to it's apparent roots, but didn't do anything after transplanting. Looks like a dead vine.
Fourth is out in the woods and can't find it. We grafted it onto a wild vine. Maybe we just haven't stumbled in the right direction. Lol

I feel for you.  So much time goes in to just making decisions; what to plant, where to plant, how to propagate, and etc..  When it doesn't work out it's somewhat demoralizing.  That said, I've been pretty lucky as I have good soil, good climate, and plenty of free fertilizer from chickens, cattle, and horses.  I also have little to no worries from critters if I can keep the livestock out of them.  Thankfully I have no coons or deer to worry about, which is what was constantly raping my grandmothers grapes.  Other than the occasional year where rabbits are thick and play havoc on new growth (even my evergreen seedlings), I'm pretty lucky.

Keep trying.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23896 on: March 22, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
Checked my new trees, planted last Fall. Most of them seem to be alive, could be too early for some to tell.
Did some minor gunsmithing and maintenance. Will get into reloading again, as soon as I'm done with a serie of "evening orders" that means products that I'm making at home, not in the forgery or workshop. Such as shoes, belts, small wooden items, etc.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23897 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Started making some homemade candles in a can. Wasn't my idea, it was an older fella we met some time ago. He works for Fema. I want to pick his brain some more.

Tuna can, wind some cardboard strips in there, filling it full. Next step is to fill with melted wax. Oh, put the holes in the corrugated cardboard up.

I haven't got any wax in yet.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23898 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
^interesting, so it's supposed to burn all at once?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23899 on: March 22, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
Not really sure. It probably will the way it looks, once the wax all burns down to the top of the cardboard. I'll try and report back.

Also got another shelf up in the storeroom. Phase 3 shelving is almost done.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23900 on: March 22, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I'm quite curious about it, got lots of beeswax so I can give it a try as well.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #23901 on: March 22, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
I take it the cardboard is acting as the wick?  Would make it burn almost like a sterno can.
-Dave

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23902 on: March 22, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Yes. Big wick. I'm wanting to learn this. I'm melting wax now.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #23903 on: March 22, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
Testing out a new 150w power inverter.  It's little (about the footprint of a credit card) and best of all quiet.  Will post a review in a week or so.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23904 on: March 23, 2017, 04:50:15 AM »
  I plan another antenna testing day on Friday with a NEW local Ham who wants instruction on operation of portable HF Ham antennas for his camping and emergency services work.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23905 on: March 23, 2017, 05:26:19 AM »
I now have an RTL-SDR and will start playing with it on my laptop.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23906 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
Test can candle filled with wax. Put a small piece of cardboard upright in the middle.
Had one sinkhole show up this morning.  :facepalm:

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23907 on: March 23, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
Livestock: had a family over to do meet and greet with the little buckling yesterday, he behaved pretty well. So, both these kids have committed homes lined up. They will be here another 4 or 5 weeks. Someone turned up who wants a few older laying hens -- Yeah !! I did not cull the excess chickens this winter as I should have. SO, if these realy go, that will just leave me with the 2 extra roosters ( Yes, me -- who lives in an area zoned NO ROOSTERS has not one, but 3 crowing roosters ! ) Maybe that I can handle on my own one day soon.

Garden: Transplanted onions made it thru the  crazy rainstorm a few days ago. They are thin, but look like they will make it. Tomato seeds are sprouting, and 1 sugar snap pea is up. I do use a heat mat (with a thermostat as we get warm afternoons in the greenhouse) to sprout things like tomato/peppers.

Repair skills : Diagnosed broken electric water heater ( thermostat), got part, and installed it yesterday. Works ! This is the little 20 gallon one in the studio. So, since my daughter is out of town, I tried out the shower there. This is the micro-bathroom in my DIY project thread and it was wonderful, first the little water heater is more than enough for long shower, I did not run out of water. Space in shower is larger than you would think, etc.... Someday I will borrow a camera and update pictures on this. Crouching down to do the repair was the difficult part, I am obviously not back to how I was before the broken pelvis last year, crouching is hard, digging with a shovel in garden is hard. I almost couldnt do this repair just due to the location. But, it was nice I could do it before she gets back as a surprise

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23908 on: March 26, 2017, 02:44:17 PM »
Test can candle filled with wax. Put a small piece of cardboard upright in the middle.
Had one sinkhole show up this morning.  :facepalm:

Laid the can (chicken can 3-1/4") on a board on the bench and fired it off today.
It didn't explode (darn  :impatient: :facepalm:) but I'm sure you could build a small grill to sit over this, with a small pan and fry eggs pretty easy.  ;D
I'll do some more playing with it later. This thing was lit for about 30 minutes and used quite a bit of the wax, but didn't faze the cardboard. So is can be refilled with wax again.

I used the other bigger can (was pork I think) to snuff the flame out.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23909 on: March 26, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
I'm willing to do just about anything myself to grow, raise, build, and maintain all aspects of my home and farm.  But, when it comes to engines and/or electrical systems to support vehicles I shy away.  This is partly due to the convenience of having a brother who is a magician when it comes to vehicles and mostly because I don't know anything about them myself. 

The problem this time was that my brother chose an inconvenient time (for me) to go camping on the only day (yesterday) I've had available, that was dry, to mow my lawn which was quickly becoming a jungle.  And the darn mower wouldn't turn-over.

Called a few places that repair mowers only to find that all of them had a basic charge of $95 and would put me on the list which meant I would get my mower back in about a month....  That time of year I guess.

So, I got on YouTube and started chasing down how-to videos that resembled my problem (key word search "riding lawnmower won't turn-over").  I quickly found all kinds of possible culprits and discovered most could be found with a simple test light, which my brother made me buy a while back.  With the video's as a guide and the need of only one tool I started with the easiest to check first....

I checked the battery (good) then moved to the solenoid which only partially checked out.  At first I assumed the solenoid was bad because not all the terminals would light-up the tester with the ignition on.  The video said that sometimes the ignition wires get corroded but since there were a blue-million wires coming off the ignition for some reason, I crossed my fingers it wasn't that.  A quick phone call to my brother suggested that I check the fuses, but for the life of me I couldn't find a single fuse.  Since he insisted it had to have one, I pulled out the trusty pressure washer and WOW, I could see wires that had earlier been hidden by grime and gunk.  Another quick look and voila, a fuse....  The fuse was not blown but one of the two wires had corroded to the point it was no longer connected.

A quick drive to the parts store for an in-line fuse holder and new fuse for just over $3 and I had my mower running the same day.