Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4142526 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24360 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
You're welcome.

Kenwood TS-50 has its final transistors replaced now, but it still doesn't develop any power.  Hopefully, I will get time to debug it this weekend.

The driver stage was the weakest on my TS-50 as it was biased a bit high in production and normally ran a bit hot. Most digital is safer to run at the 100% duty cycle (the AM or FM max level or 25 watts for most rigs and 40 watts on a few) and can really heat up the smaller radios quickly.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24361 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:51 AM »
Health: continuing to walk every day, usually about 1-2 miles. I think I have lost a couple pounds last month.

Garden: pulled the onions today. Now they are on the deck in the shade. Picked some blackberries yesterday, in the fridge. Put out some potatoes yesterday, but too hot, so not all of them.

Food preservation: Canned greek lentil soup yesterday, but it is a canning failure ! I forgot that it had too much oil in it, and you could feel it on the outside of all the jars when pulled from the pressure canner ! So, the 9 pint jars of soup are washed off and in the refrigerator, and I will need to eat thru it to gain room back... Tonight, making a round of Manchego cheese, it has 3 times of pressing for 15 minutes at 15 lbs before I can rewrap and put it at 30 pounds over night, so, about a half an hour before I can go to bed ! started late due to the walk with my neighbor.

Residual Income: received my first call to Notarize something, so I am going to go do that tomorrow afternoon.

Prepping supplies : the bottom pan of my steam canner is pitted and ruined, so I ordered a replacement that came today. Garage sale finds today of a good vegetarian cookbook, and then craft supplies; lots of buttons, snaps and fasteners and other notions. 2 knitting books with various knitting needles and notions I will share with my eldest dd. There is also a half finished shawl/scarf I am trying to figure out what to do, I will likely check with another knitter in the area and see if one of us might finish it, and then we could donate to the church fundraiser this November, this garage sale of stuff is due to a death of a woman in our community, and this was her half-done project.

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24362 on: August 06, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
Gearing up to start a side business (in addition to my day job), so I'm researching that and getting tips from a good friend of mine that already does something similar.

The SEO company Jay's boss uses sucks, and they get paid a ton of money to not be very effective, so I encouraged Jay to learn it.  It will make him more valuable at work, make his company more financially solid, and give him another skill when he retires and wants to do something on the side.

Got my Yaesu programmed, but I'm still not hitting the local favorite repeater.  I think it's just a matter of distance, though.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24363 on: August 06, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Granddaughter and I picked 4 gallon of wild plums Friday late.
I've had them in the steamer/juicer since about 1 today. Just now winding that up. I have close to 3-1/2 quarts of plum juice to can and store.
We have many more plums out back. Not enough time to get them all.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24364 on: August 07, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
My white corn seems to finally start showing some cobs. About time...I hope to harvest some before it starts snowing :) But that's the point of my experiment, to see which corn (if any) would grow here nicely.
Discovered a place to go for flea markets (in Poland, not too far beyond the border), hope to get there earlier next time. Just happened to be there accdentally and by the time we came they were mostly packing already. Wish I had more time to go through the stuff and haggle over some of the old tools and such. Definitely gonna go there again some other time.
Making some new knife designs that ask for a little different forging approach, so I'm glad to practice some more. Also planning to try a sandwich blade.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24365 on: August 07, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Ended up with 4 quarts of juice yesterday, not the expected 3-1/2  ;D

So we picked another 4 gallon of plums late yesterday. Will probably juice em tomorrow. Leave em sit a day or so to help ripen some.

Garden picking and some cleanup today. First 64 tomato plants are calming down now, and awaiting the 32 Abe Lincoln tomato plants to kick in. I planted them late so we could get a break and have some later.
Picked another gallon of elderberry berry's today. Storing all of them in the freezer until we get time to make jelly.

Fully intended to get some canning done today, either stew or salsa, but after the goat roping rodeo this morning (helping the neighbor ear tag goats), just not enough time in the day. Maybe tomorrow  ;D

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24366 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Succeeded forging a sandwich blade. Also make some buckles to practice fine forgery and forge-welding of tiny objects.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24367 on: August 08, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Made up and canned 14 quarts of homemade garden stew.
Well......not quite 14 quarts. If we'd have added one more large mater, or I would'nve (is that a word?  ???) ate that pint sample while it was cooking....... ;D

Anyhow, we threw that jar in the canner with it's brothers.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24368 on: August 08, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
Well......not quite 14 quarts. If we'd have added one more large mater, or I would'nve (is that a word?  ???) ate that pint sample while it was cooking....... ;D

:rofl:
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24369 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24370 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
I handed out bags of raw peanuts to my coworkers so they had some long term emergency food they could grow if needed.
"Government and laws need to match the culture they exist in."  -Endurance

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24371 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
Moving dirt from in front of studio into the goat stalls, stalls lose dirt and become un-even over the years. My help never showed, so I have moved some yesterday, and a teeny bit more today. I will keep plugging away on it until I get help. I am a pretty sorry dirt mover, but I do need to increase arm strength, so a small amount a day seems as good as resistance bands. Small shovel loads, and about a third of a wheelbarrow at a time. twice, then stop. I do know how to move a half full shovel full of dirt without strain.

More plaster repair in studio, I think todays 2 layers will be about it. The reason we have had problems is the original plaster was done by a "work party" here, and I must not have overseen that one wall area....The new plaster I am doing is much stronger, fresh horse manure being the secret ingredient. No, it does not smell when it is dry ! You apply in layers, with some partial drying of under layers before next one, and spray bottle of water to not dry too fast.... This is easy for me, small amounts hand mixed in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, until it "feels" right, smooth it on the wall.

We also carried out the wood stove base out of the studio, and while I repaired the wall, my daughter swept, cleaned and scrubbed the cement under where it was.

My daughter helped me load the truck with dump run, mostly debris from siding fixing in June.

I brought home more hay a few days ago, she unloaded it today. Truck only holds 6 bales at a time, and they are no longer doing delivery from the feed store. I do not like that the barn has so little hay ! I used to have 3 rows of 9 bales, eat thru one row, go get another 9 bales. So, always at least 18 bales. Right now there is only about 10 total of alfalfa in the barn. I need to step up getting more in. The world is feeling tight again, need to make sure we keep our pantries full for us and the critters.

Online Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24372 on: August 10, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Pulled a screw from my tire that had a very slow leak.  Attempted to plug it myself, since it was the evening and local shops were closed.  Couldn't get the rasp to fit through the small hole and hesitated to use any bigger tools.  It's a nearly new tire and I don't want to trash it.  Shop will patch at no cost.

Am a little bummed I wasn't able to physically plug the hole however...

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24373 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
Pulled a screw from my tire that had a very slow leak.  Attempted to plug it myself, since it was the evening and local shops were closed.  Couldn't get the rasp to fit through the small hole and hesitated to use any bigger tools.  It's a nearly new tire and I don't want to trash it.  Shop will patch at no cost.

Plugs are not always as easy as many make it out to be. I've plugged a lot of tires over the years, and I still get one every now and then that throws a fit. I had a truck tire that I ended up having to replace because I must have broke a cord when I plugged it. Either that, or the nail broke a cord. But none-the-less, plugs are not always easy and not fool-proof.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24374 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
We began a reassessment of our preps in order to fill any gaps we find.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24375 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

I did 'in the road' tire repair for several years(Firestone and Goodyear) and I used a small file/rasp,with a battery drill, to open and smooth the hole so the plug would not be damaged by steel belts...not necessary for nylon etc,non steel belted tires. I used a typical rubber plug found in retail kits with cement . A plug often lasts long enough to be called perminent though more of my repair work was done with a quality patch and off wheel installation.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24376 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
We began a reassessment of our preps in order to fill any gaps we find.

I need to do that after garden/canning season is about over.
I'm trying to hit that 2 year mark with canned goods.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24377 on: August 12, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Spent two days at the range as instructor (earned money) and did both some training for myself and also zeroed a new laser sight for my G27, tested my chinese drum magazine in the AK to see if the two work fine together (drum mags can be tricky and may malfunction in some rifles and/or with some ammo - my mix seems to work just fine - Yugo AK, Chinese drum, Hungarian ammo), test-fired my recently purchased antique bolt action (sweet!), also tested my BP derringer that I've kept loaded for a while - I was wondering how well (or bad) would it perform after several weeks. It fired perfectly, even with the percussion caps that were on it the whole time....I expected them to fail, as my area is quite humid.
Just about to do some work on the reloading bench, have that project unfinished for too long and I'm running out of reloaded ammo for practice.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24378 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Bought some beans and bullets.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24379 on: August 12, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
Got my solar system done..

3 panel's @ 230 watts, max output 13.5 amps
3 batteries @ 265 amp hour

I now can run my tv,WiFi,cable box and speakers for 4 to 5 hours with a full charge :clap:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24380 on: August 12, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »

I now can run my tv,WiFi,cable box and speakers for 4 to 5 hours with a full charge :clap:

COOL.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24381 on: August 12, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
Just about to do some work on the reloading bench, have that project unfinished for too long and I'm running out of reloaded ammo for practice.

Update: my work on the reloading bench has resulted in sorting several years of range junk, I'm just sorting bags and boxes full of all kinds of brass now. All my bullets and reloading tools are in the drawers of the bench organizer already. I can hardly believe how much space I had occupied by all this mess!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24382 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »

Beautiful work Chad!

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline PattyCakes

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24383 on: August 12, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Hello Members,  My name is Patty and I'm new here.  I'm 66 years old and have been prepping for about 10 years.  However, I grew up with a mother who did a lot of preserving and canning.  I'm not a city girl, I live in the country. 

I made blueberry jam yesterday from blueberries that I picked from a neighbors farm.  Has anyone noticed that Sure Jell has changed the amounts of sugar needed?  I use to use 4 cups of crushed blueberries and 4 cups of sugar.  Now it calls for 3 cups of sugar.  Just interesting, that's all. 

Today I'm dehydrating chopped yellow onions.  I've frozen some onion but I can't use up a lot of room in my freezer.  While they are dehydrating, I'm going to make a new jam.  It's called Carrot Cake Jam.  The recipe sounds amazing, so I thought I'd try something new and fun. 

I'm so glad to be here among all of you.  I hope you have a wonderful day.   

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24384 on: August 12, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
Thanks guys..

It would not be possible without the advent of LED TV's and lights, my setup anyway.

The tv(42" LED)  wifi,cable box and speakers draw 8.5 amps DC from the batteries too the inverter (samlex 300W)
Output From the inverter  is 105 watts.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24385 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
Hello Members,  My name is Patty and I'm new here.
Hi Patty, welcome aboard and good going on getting blueberry jam put up.  :)

Online Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24386 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.  Took a 4 mile walk through local neighborhoods to test for comfort, and got several concerned glances, included a couple passes by police cars.  I had about $300 in camping gear strapped on, and was cleanly shaven.  I hardly looked like a homeless person, but whatever :)

After that played emergency radio and deployed VHF and HF antennas in the back yard, running off battery/solar.  Made a couple 146.520 (2 meter calling) contacts, with good signal reports from my garbage antenna.

Made my first contacts using the new FT-8 digital mode, including one in Kamchatka, Russia!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24387 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
I attended a Red cross all day class for the various rural CERT groups here on setting up an emergency shelter. The idea is, they may not be able to get to us and they would "deploy" CERT to do it until they could make it thru, or something..... Or, we would have no potential of any help or resources from them, in which case they hope we would take the check sheets, information, etc... f all that needs to be thought about and do what we can with what we have.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24388 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:50 AM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.  Took a 4 mile walk through local neighborhoods to test for comfort, and got several concerned glances, included a couple passes by police cars.  I had about $300 in camping gear strapped on, and was cleanly shaven.  I hardly looked like a homeless person, but whatever :)

After that played emergency radio and deployed VHF and HF antennas in the back yard, running off battery/solar.  Made a couple 146.520 (2 meter calling) contacts, with good signal reports from my garbage antenna.

Made my first contacts using the new FT-8 digital mode, including one in Kamchatka, Russia!
\
Just put on your Ham Hat with callsign and they will KNOW that you aren't dangerous...just nutz.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24389 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »
Prepared my gear for a backpacking trip next weekend.
Can't even contemplate something like that until October around here.  August is fierce, time to lay low and sort out gear for when the weather turns.  And it will.  In any case, let us know how the trip goes.

This year has been especially wet.  Not particularly hot, just the steamiest weather people can remember – and that's saying something for coastal MS.  Everybody's talking about it, but there's not much to be done.

So this weekend has been about sorting through camping gear, getting ready for fall.  Mostly holding down and maintaining the fort during hurricane season.