Author Topic: How Many Hams Do We Have On The Board?  (Read 146900 times)

Offline KC9AIC

• Prepper
Re: How Many Hams Do We Have On The Board?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »
KC9AIC, Extra class. I'm the vice-president of my university's radio club.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
KC9AIC, Extra class. I'm the vice-president of my university's radio club.
Welcome!

Offline bonnie

• Prepper
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2009, 01:40:27 AM »
Extra class, got it in 1998 when 20 wpm morse code was still required.  I learned it by keeping my laptop next to my bed and practicing first thing in the morning when I woke up before I did anything else.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
General Class, but I don't post call on public boards.

AKS

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2009, 10:34:28 AM »
No Code Tech here.  General coming soon.
And we ahve a very active D_Star group here in the Bay Area for the post asking about D_Star.  That being said, I am not a D-Star radio owner, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night... D-Star is pretty cool technology.

Captaincoolaid

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »
General class but no code experience. I play around on VHF and HF just a little bit

jaat13

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
Tech here, hopefully upgrading to general soon. And i dont post my call sign either, at least not until i get a p.o box  :)

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
I aced my Technician test last week.  Call sign isn't in the FCC database yet.  They let me take the General test while I was there, and I only missed passing by 2 questions.  They said to come back in a month and try it again.  ;D

Now I just need to learn more about which radio to buy...

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I aced my Technician test last week.  Call sign isn't in the FCC database yet.  They let me take the General test while I was there, and I only missed passing by 2 questions.  They said to come back in a month and try it again.  ;D

Now I just need to learn more about which radio to buy...
Congratulations on getting your tech ticket.

What kind of radio do you think you want to start with...mobile, base or HT?

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »
Quote from: DeltaEchoVictor
What kind of radio do you think you want to start with...mobile, base or HT?

Thinking either HT or mobile.  Possibly find a modest HT to get started, listen in on conversations, learn the ham language and culture, use it as a glorified shortwave receiver, etc.  Then start building a higher power go-anywhere briefcase kit if that looks feasible.

Eventually I'd like to make my own radio out of parts.  Sort of like how a Jedi makes his own light saber.  The circuit diagrams that I saw at the library assume CW knowledge, so I'll need some time to learn that too.

Or I could do something entirely different...  I'm open to ideas.  I just don't want to mess around with backyard towers and high-dollar gear, and I'm not quite ready to do anything permanent to the car.

By the way, I'm in the FCC DB now.  8)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
I'm in the FCC DB now.
Cool!

Thinking either HT or mobile.
I have one of These in my Jeep.  I'm very pleased with the performance of the radio.  I did an install write up on putting it in my Jeep Here.  Don't forget, most mobiles are very adequate base radios as well, especially if you're just starting out or don't want to invest a lot of cash in a mega expensive base type radio.  A nice dual or triple band mobile radio would make a fine base radio as well.

I bought two of These for my wife and I.  It's a nice little HT with lots of features & it's water proof also.  It's been a good performer & is easy to modify, should one want to.  I can hit the repeater in the next county over from me with it.  It's probably 15 or 20 driving miles from where I live.

I bought them from Austin Amateur Radio Supply.  They've been a really good store to deal with & have the cheapest prices on these two models of radio that I've been able to find.  I had the radios two days after I ordered them.

Eventually I'd like to make my own radio out of parts.  Sort of like how a Jedi makes his own light saber.  The circuit diagrams that I saw at the library assume CW knowledge, so I'll need some time to learn that too.

Or I could do something entirely different...  I'm open to ideas.  I just don't want to mess around with backyard towers and high-dollar gear, and I'm not quite ready to do anything permanent to the car.
One of the nice things about HAM radio is the unlimited variety.  You can do just about anything you want if you have the diligence to sit down with a few books based on your interests.

mountainwilliamwannabe

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
Technician class since 03
Active in Skywarn, and UNT EADP student.....

ken

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »
Extra Class license here in the wild west,  Texas that is.

paperclip

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
2 Meter Tech here in western SD. Don't use it much but it's always been a "neat thing" for me...

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
i am interested in getting in to HAM. my grandfather has a couple radios and most of my extended "adult" family members have their general...
i am not really close to any of my extended family, but my recent inquiry has brought at least me and my grandfather closer. I am hoping to pick up some information from him, but also from you guys...and gals.   

i am really interested on a "beginner kit" for HAM radio.

if anyone can help, that would be great.

HAM is in my heritage. i guess, my great uncle..or great great, i am not even sure, was  a HAM wiz, and could decode morse, while holding a verbal conversation.
 he was in communications, durring WWII.

besides learning the ways of HAM for my own interest, i think it would bring me closer to my family, which is another goal of mine... any help would be appreciated.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
i am interested in getting in to HAM.... I am hoping to pick up some information from him, but also from you guys...and gals.  

i am really interested on a "beginner kit" for HAM radio.

if anyone can help, that would be great.
Sounds like you already have a great resource....your family.

Check out the Getting Started In HAM Radio Thread in The Repository.

52Degrees

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »
KG6VNX temporary AG ;)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
KG6VNX temporary AG ;)
Congrats on the step up!

Good job!

52Degrees

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »
Thanks!

I took the Extra right after.  Failed, but on the better half of 50%.  Not too bad for a stone cold shot in the dark if I do say so myself.

I'm not going to wait 5 years for my next upgrade like I did this time.

Next up is a radio.  I'm thinking FT-897 for the base/mobile/backpack utility of it, not to mention the fact that it does all bands from 160 meter to 70 cm.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »
Thanks!

I took the Extra right after.  Failed, but on the better half of 50%.  Not too bad for a stone cold shot in the dark if I do say so myself.

I'm not going to wait 5 years for my next upgrade like I did this time.

Next up is a radio.  I'm thinking FT-897 for the base/mobile/backpack utility of it, not to mention the fact that it does all bands from 160 meter to 70 cm.
That's pretty good for winging it.  I took the General at our regular meeting the other night on a whim, knowing I wasn't ready.  Missed it by just a couple of questions.

The FT-897 is a nice radio.  We use one at our local club, actually we have several but that one gets played with quite a bit.  Pretty intuitive to use too, though I haven't used it quite as much as some of the higher class licensed members.  Sounds like a good choice if you only want to go with one radio to do everything.

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
My Kenwood TH-F6A arrived yesterday.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.  Weather and broadcast radio bands were easy.  Shortwave, no results yet.  After scanning the 2M band today I stumbled across a repeater where some guys were talking in spanish.

Ordered a programming cable, which should be here before too long.  I think it'll be a lot easier after programming frequencies into memory.  Also I'll need some kind of antenna adapter so I can play with shortwave too.

Hard to believe a place with a name like "radio shack" doesn't actually have any ham stuff anymore...  The guys working there saw the radio on my belt and got all excited even though they didn't have anything I felt like buying.  Apparently they're not used to customers who know anything about electronics (this is in a mall) and thus they're desperate for intelligent conversation.

My current bedtime reading material is the ARRL General manual...

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
new to ham, I have only had my license for a couple weeks.  My wife and I both took the class this winter and passed the Basic course with honours (in Canada that gives us access to ALL bands)

I am currently studying for the Advanced, which is quite intense and allows you to build your own radios, not just assemble kits.

My set up in the office, soon to be in the BOV and I will run a VX-8R HT in the house and use the cross band repeater for greater power.

VE5BJT

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:16:19 PM by the_dude306 »

Bowieschewtoy

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
KE7CAZ..............Only cause Bailey forced me to get it.  I studied just enough to pass the test.  It has helped me out though............. A tree came down blocking the road home  (I don't have cell phone and there is only one way in)I got on the radio, asked for someone to call Bailey to bring his chainsaw.  Problem solved ;D

Offline docred

• Prepper
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
Just upgraded to General Class

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
I'm about halfway through the General study book.

Offline DALE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Oldie but a Goodie
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
Wow...impressive list, many fellow HAMS are onboard here.  I earned my license in 1960 as a 14 year old and kept radio-active since.  HAM Radio ROCKS!
73, Amateur Extra in Oregon

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »
Awesome Jeep, there, Dale.  :)  Welcome!

Offline DALE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Oldie but a Goodie
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
Thanks Sister Wolf...The Jeep is a WWII 1944 GPW.  We restored it last year. No computer, no comforts other than a padded seat, no air conditioning, no cruise, no top...just basic utility, ready to roll and take on whatever comes down the road...like all of us here on the Forum strive for!

52Degrees

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »

Offline DALE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Oldie but a Goodie
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »
Good one "52 Degrees"  ;D