Author Topic: Humor in Survival  (Read 4814 times)

millerized1

Humor in Survival
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:45:48 AM »
ABOVE ALL, maintain your humility in it, but NEVER LOSE YOUR SENSE HUMOR in a survival situation....that is if you have one in the first place.

I'm a laughing, joking, fun loving guy.  Not a practical joker per se, but a guy that loves to laugh and make others laugh as well. Jokes serve to lower tensions, usually to a point where things flow smoother.  Uncontrollable fear usually makes you lose control of your bowels.....uncontrollable laughter usually the other side.  Which is easier to clean up? ;) Yeah, better to laugh and get a warm fuzzy than cower in a puddle of your own poo.

Laughing releases endorphins, soothes adrenaline release and in some cases, causes hot blonde's and redheads to gravitate in your direction. (watch the movies, the guy who always has the punchline when the $h!t is starting always gets the girls) Besides, if you're joking in a tense situation, you' can save all those little blue triangles for those "other" survivalists.....can you say post apocalyptic barter goods???? I knew you could.

Whether it's stuck in the middle of nowhere with your transmission scattered over the past 3 miles and banjo's in the distance or the fact you're hanging by your testicles over a large stew pot in the middle of the Amazon jungle, there's humor in the situation.  It's either "Wow, now I know why I was getting 200mpg", "Gee, that music sure is soothing" or "Hmmmm... guess that saves getting that vasectomy next Tuesday", or one of a hundred comments you can make. See where I'm going with this?

Maybe I've been lucky with genetics, maybe just a cavalier attitude in tense situations is how I'm wired, but I've never lost my sense of humor. I love horror movies, laughing at the "Stick Around" comment when the arrow pierces the forehead of the guy, fastening the back of his head to the tree behind him.  Think of all the old movies you watched where the guy is cracking jokes during the tense scenes....."I think we're gonna need a bigger boat"......"Yippie Kayai, Feather Plucker"......the Michael Jackson looking zombie in "Return of the Living Dead 2". Hell, XXX (Triple X) may have sucked as a movie, but some of his "crap is blowing up all around me, people dying, my acting career over, but I'm still funny" lines were priceless. (yeah, I know....barely a movie)

Think back at all of the movies you've seen, find the funniest lines from the most horrific points of the movies.....they diffuse a tense situation, make it easier to move forward.  Usually the funny guy live longer than the rest (not always, but usually), but at least he has fun doing it.....and the blonde's and redheads.

Moron of the story: Keep a sense of humor with the whole process.  Preparing for the worst the world has to offer is a huge bummer, thinking of what the end might look like has driven people over that edge we've all been told about.  Keeping a "bright" outlook, even in the face of certain demise. Remember, were racing through life KNOWING there is a brick wall at the end of the dragstrip. We're just preparing to hit it at a different speed than the rest.

If you're preparing for poop sandwiches, at least learn to like the bread.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Humor in Survival
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
-1 on that!!! too good!

millerized1

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
-1 on that!!! too good!
Whooohooo!!!!! That's a total of over 100 Karma! And better than 2 : 1....er....uh,.....1 : 2.

(whew, as long as it doesn't get to 1:1 :'( )

Lucretius

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »
-1 for trying to learn survival by observing lousy actors... :-*

millerized1

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:07:51 AM »
WhooHoo!!! Thanks!!!

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »
I say +1. Many things you read tell you to keep your head in an emergency. Another +1 to the first person who knows where "DON'T PANIC" is the first 2 words in the book. Finding the humor in a situation can keep you from going crazy.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..
42!
Do you know where your towel is?
Do you know how to stop the attack of a ravenous BugBlatter beast of Traal?
Do you know how to make a Pan-Galatic Gargle Blaster?
I have a black towel with 42 (in slightly lighter black) on it in my office...

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
Archer...I wasn't going to admit it, but that is one reason I have a towel in my BOB. Because all you need is a towel.  ;D Its white though, and since I put it in there I have thought of several uses for it, but I put it there initially because of my sense of humor.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »
Archer...I wasn't going to admit it, but that is one reason I have a towel in my BOB. Because all you need is a towel.  ;D Its white though, and since I put it in there I have thought of several uses for it, but I put it there initially because of my sense of humor.

Good job... Here is a pic of my towel..

Where you can get your own '42' towel:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8e20/

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
Thanks! I am definitely going to get one of those! Mine is just a plain white towel.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
Cool....... Now, I assume you know the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything.???

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Cool....... Now, I assume you know the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything.???
Of course I do. It was given to me in a dream with little white mice. They said the question was "How many roads must a man walk down?"

Makes me wonder if I should store a towel instead that says "Don't Panic" since I am a survivalist.  ;D

Probably one of the best moments of my life came after my friends and I went to a chinese restaraunt after Ren Faire. I opened up a delicious fortune cookie and all it said on the paper was 'Don't Panic'. I still have that in my wallet.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 04:04:28 PM by ColdHaven »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
You are a really hoopy frood!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »
You are a really hoopy frood!

Only as long as I know where my towel is!  ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Well, as long as you look like you know where your towel is then you are still a happy frood... Does not say you have to have your towel with you... 

ink

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
Every envelope-package that arrives at my house has the number 42 written on the back in red Sharpie.  Either that's some sort of delivery code, or somebody at the USPS is a fan  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
Oh cool!!! Yeah!!!