Author Topic: homeopathic mersa treatments ?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
homeopathic mersa treatments ?
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »

I've had a few mersa infections in the last few years. Does anyone know of good homeopathic treatments in case you got it and could not get a prescription of antibiotics due to various circumstances etc ?

calamityjane

Re: homeopathic mersa treatments ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
I've had a few mersa infections in the last few years. Does anyone know of good homeopathic treatments in case you got it and could not get a prescription of antibiotics due to various circumstances etc ?

Colloidal Silver.

http://lifesilver.com/

Here's a testimonial re: MRSA:  http://lifesilver.com/testimonials.htm

There are a lot of variations of the product out there, you may want to do some research.

Also, I ran across this a while back:

Blue Light Destroys Antibiotic-Resistant Staph Infection

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Blue_Light_Destroys_Antibiotic_Resistant_Staph_Infection_999.html

Last, you should be able to get colloidal silver at a Health Food Store w/o a prescription.  Although I have read that soon it will not be available as OTC at all.. So if you find a supply and a product line that works for you, you may want to stock up as you can.

A note, also get a little sprayer in addition to taking an oral dose. 

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the term homeopathic has a very specific meaning and its not about home treatments, herbal treatments, natural treatments, or traditional treatments.
Homeopathic can be summed up as follows;
(this is just an example)
We know poison ivy makes you itch.
So you take a tiny sample of poison ivy and dilute it with 100 equal parts of pure water.
Mix it for a specific amount of time and take a small sample.
Dilute it with 100 equal parts of pure water.
Repeat the process until you reach a dilution of roughly 10 to the 400th power. (like a grain of sand on the sun)
At this point there is absolutely no detection of the original item using modern scientific means.
Somehow when you reach this point of dilution, the potion is expected to take on the opposite quality it started with.
So for our example, the poison ivy mix is suppose to cure itching.
It has roughly the same success ratio as is expected by the placebo effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

calamityjane

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:20:44 PM »
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the term homeopathic has a very specific meaning and its not about home treatments, herbal treatments, natural treatments, or traditional treatments.
Homeopathic can be summed up as follows;
(this is just an example)
We know poison ivy makes you itch.
So you take a tiny sample of poison ivy and dilute it with 100 equal parts of pure water.
Repeat the process until you reach a dilution of roughly 10 to the 400th power. (like a grain of sand on the sun)
At this point there is absolutely no detection of the original item using modern scientific means.
Somehow when you reach this point of dilution, the potion is expected to take on the opposite quality it started with.
So for our example, the poison ivy mix is suppose to cure itching.
It has roughly the same success ratio as is expected by the placebo effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Thanks for the info.    So I wonder if there is one for MRSA.  Hmm.

Offline Buffy

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
There is a kind of honey from New Zealand that studies have shown to have effectiveness against MRSA.
They sell medicinal honey at amazon.com.
Google "antibacterial properties of honey".

Offline Sid

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »
Here is a website where I have picked up some ideas from:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/MRSA.html

Not everything there is effective, but some of the things they discuss are good.  I have experimented with a few things I learned on this site and had good results.  Others have not worked at all, so it is a little bit of a crap shoot.

calamityjane

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:24:57 AM »
Here is a website where I have picked up some ideas from:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/MRSA.html

Not everything there is effective, but some of the things they discuss are good.  I have experimented with a few things I learned on this site and had good results.  Others have not worked at all, so it is a little bit of a crap shoot.

OOOOH!   I like that website !!    Thanks for passing it along !   + 1

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:19:35 AM »
my two cents:

Bee-related cures: avoid honey if you're diabetic - it'll just raise your blood sugar if taken orally, and if applied directly will provide food for the bugs to eat.

Propolis has scads and scads and scads of antibacterial components in it (as well as several chemicals that are identical to already-approved chemotherapy agents - but in pathetically low concentrations) Good in a topical solution, and IIRC, there are creams available.

Silver: great topically. Avoid oral solutions. Nasal sprays/eye drops/skin sprays and ointments are available as alternative medicine cures. Silver creams and bandages are available, FDA approved, and effective well above the placebo threshold.

UV light works, so I wouldn't be surprised if end-of-spectrum blue light was effective too.

Copper is also great, but silver is far less toxic in the sorts of concentrations that will be effective. Look for 15-30ppm solutions for topical use, and 10-15% for inhaled or mucous membrane use (nasal spray/eye drops, etc.)

Alternatives: Lactoferrin. Excellent CURE as far as I know from first-hand anecdotal evidence. A fellow had MRSA sepsis and cured himself when a weeks worth of vancomycin had zero effect. Took about three weeks for him to clear up, but he noticed improvement within a few days. His doctor confirmed this, and he has a copy of his medical records indicating that the doctor attributed his recovery to the combined effect, not just the antibiotic.

As far as preventive medicine - keep surgical soap on hand, and dress any wounds immediately. Maybe use some CS/ionic silver on the dressing in addition to any antibiotic ointment you use.

Also get checked for diabetes - you might be diabetic or pre-diabetic and not know it - much higher incidence of bacterial infection than the rest of the populace. MRSA is not a super bug - it's no more virulent than any other staph infection - your body can fight it off just as easily, but it doesn't get the help you normally would get from methicillin. Something like 1000 times less effective, but not zero. This is where adjuvant therapies like silver, propolis, blue light, and lactoferrin can help tip the balance back in favor of your immune system.

Hope this helps, even on a bit of an old thread.

Orion

Offline USA83

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »
Not to bash anyone or anything  but MRSA is not something to be fooled with. If you have it go to the DR. Don't rely on mom's home remedy because this was not around in moms days. This is around be cause of the last 30 years of " MORE ANTIBIOTICS! MORE! MORE!" in a SHTF scenario is a good time to try home remedy's because you don't have other options but while Dr.'s are around my suggestion for this is GO.

Butch
68wM6
Still a Medic now a Army Nurse.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
Totally agree. I typically underscore that point when talking about medical topics, but definitely seek out medical care. something like ionic silver is a good ADJUVANT therapy to consider after consulting with your doctor, not a replacement.

When you do go to your doctor, though, mention the FDA approved stuff like Aquacel and Silver Sulfadiazine - both are VERY effective against a broad spectrum of microbes, and resistance is virtually impossible due to the electrochemical effect of the silver vs. receptor binding effect of antibiotics - i.e. it can shift the "resistance" curve into futility for the bacterium.

Always always always consult a healthcare professional before taking any course of treatment on your own.

+1 to USA83 ;-)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »
Not to bash anyone or anything  but MRSA is not something to be fooled with. If you have it go to the DR. Don't rely on mom's home remedy because this was not around in moms days. This is around be cause of the last 30 years of " MORE ANTIBIOTICS! MORE! MORE!" in a SHTF scenario is a good time to try home remedy's because you don't have other options but while Dr.'s are around my suggestion for this is GO.

Butch
68wM6
Still a Medic now a Army Nurse.

This is good advice. MRSA is tough. If you have it you need to see a doctor. MRSA is worse than this pseudo-pandemic. Yet you do not hear about it on the news or practically anywhere else. MRSA should be taken care of a soon as possible. Do whatever you can to avoid it. If you go to a hospital or any medical facility WASH YOUR HANDS, use alchohol foam, and do not touch patients who have it. MRSA is hard to get rid of because of its resistance to antibiotics (due to doctors prescribing them when they shouldn't). If you go to a patients room who has it, use the isolation gowns, and the gloves if you must touch them.

I wish the CDC and WHO were more proactive about this. I can see why they want to keep it quiet though. Wouldn't want the major populace blaming the medical community for it. As someone who works in a hospital I can tell you that we are required to wear isolation gowns, latex gloves, and alcohol foam everytime we enter a patients room that has MRSA. I have seen family members go in and out, play around in there, let their kids crawl around in bed with the patients or on the floor, and they don't seem to care. They need to let people know just how dangerous this stuff is.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
Honey has been used for thousands of years, It was still being wildly used  as recently are WWI, and has recently been "rediscovered" by modern medicine.  It is good stuff an I have witnessed it being used in wound treatment clinics on patients with and without MRSA complications

the New Zealand honey is Manuka or Leptospermum.  It seems to be the best of the best and is what is used in honey colloid dressings,  but all natural honeys hold similar properties.  there as been some improvements shown specifically with Manuka.  So the use of any natural honey will help. If you can get the Manuka then all the better.

Now MRSA is not the end all be all super bug that the media has made it out to be.  Over all, it is not that big of a deal. I think it something to the order of 80% of folks in the US have MRSA on them RIGHT NOW. If you work or live with someone that works in the healthcare field, that number goes up closer to 100.   The key is in a Healthy individual, the body deals with MRSA very effectively and there is never an infectionor reason for treatment.  The problem come when there is a comprise in the bodies systems.  MRSA is resistant to most common treatments, that is why it is so scary, but there are treatment that work well for it.  Ozone is one that I have heard of for wound infections. Be aware of MRSA, but not overly worried.

If you have a problem with reoccurring MRSA infections, I will not discourage you from using treatments such as Honey Colloid dressings.   I think, however there may be an underlying reason that you are being re infected and that has to be dealt with. I would speak to your MD and try to find the underlying cause and attempt to eliminate that.

just my $.02 YMMV

endurance

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
I have a coworker who got a MRSA infection in her back last year around this time.  Doc's totally dropped the ball, originally diagnosed as sciatica, then a tumor, finally an infection requiring surgery after 6 weeks of letting it grow.  She spent four weeks in the hospital and two weeks at home on IV antibiotics.  She's had two recurrances since then, one in her shoulder and one in her foot/heel.  I feel for you.  It is obviously best to catch it early and avoid it, but once you have it, it takes time to rid yourself of it completely. 

My understanding, and I could be incorrect, is that the bacteria uses a carbohydrate covering to conceal itself from the immune system and make it more difficult for antibiotics to reach the more vulnerable cell wall.  Like a cancer, it hides out and crops up randomly until your immune system catches on and gets the upper hand.

Best of luck to you.  Let us know if you find something that works.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
You're pretty darn close there.

MRSA is just like any other strain of SA (Staphylococcus Aureus), except it's resistant to the methicillin family of antibiotics. The carbohydrate coating is actually the cell wall found on any bacterium, it's just slightly different, which is part of what causes the resistance.

Antibiotics work in a variety of ways. IIRC, penicillin works by inhibiting one of the two subunits of ribosomes, thus preventing the bacterium from synthesizing protien from messenger RNA. Others inhibit polymerases, and still others attack the cell wall of the organism. Largely, the actions of these drugs are indicated by the name - mycin, -icillin, and -cycline are all indicative of a different class of structural forms, and thus different modes of action. I have not taken the time recently to refresh my memory on which does what, exactly, so I leave determinging that as an academic exercise for Wikipedia users.

In general, a single nucleotide polymorphism, or snp, is all that is required to induce a conformational change in a protien. Sometimes multiple snp's must accumulate to do so, and again, in general, the larger the protien in question, the more snp's and the closer together they have to be, in order to induce this conformation change. Even more generally speaking, a protien will not change its method of action unless the snp occurs close to, or within, an active site - a point at which the protien either binds to another molecule, itself, or a point at which it is cleaved in order to render the parts active or to inactivate it (look up Factor V for a great example of how this happens with the Factor V Leiden mutation, as well as the Prothrombin 20222 A mutation - the first one causes a binding affinity change at the active site (cleavage area) of the Factor V coagulation protien. The Prothrombin gene mutation is a G for A transcription error - a snp - that is conserved amongst northern european and greek populations, and has been used to track norse invasions of the mediterranean in some recent research - this mutation causes VAST amounts of perfectly functional Prothrombin to be produced, so when the coagulation cascade is activated, you wind up with a f*** ton too much thrombin. Not a problem unless you have Factor V Leiden mutation, which takes away the light switch to turn FV off, since the active site has about 1000 times less binding affinity for all the other interacting protiens that would normally cleave it. I'll post my thesis on the coagulation cascade if anyone's interested.)

Sooo, back on track, there are a few snp's that were conserved in the SA population that developed into MRSA. Genetically, as far as I know, it's no different than everyday staph, except for these snp's that render it thoroughly resistant to previously effective antibiotics. To further dispell a misconception - antibiotics do not cause bacteria to become resistant. SNP's do, and when they are conserved, they spread through the population. They are only conserved if they don't inhibit reproduction, and largely are only conserved if they help, since any gene that codes for nonfunctional or "waste" protien would cause an excess metabolic demand on a potentially already inefficient, energy strapped organism.

Staph in itself is quite horrible to get inside your body, due to its incredible virulence and inherent resistance to your own immune system. You're right, drthumbs, that your body can generally fight off an attack, but during surgeries and the like, you're already directing quite a few macrophages and the like towards mopping up and repairing other things, and an infection can set in quite readily, of any kind.

I'll see if I can post some more information, but I'll likely do it in another thread. Maybe I'll turn this into another thesis. Thanks for sparking such an interesting conversation, you all have made me do some more homework.

Speaking of which, I now have to go finish up some botany homework before I knock off for the night.

Take care,
Orion

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »
Ah!

Mannose!!!!

A great little adjuvant to help your body clear out infection. The whole reason I was posting before was the polysaccharide coat on the bacterium made me think of mannose. There's a lot of research that indicates that bacteria stick to you via glycoprotien bonds between their cell membrane, and glycoprotiens on/in your tissues. Long story short, mannose comes along and acts like the active portion of the glycoprotien, and covalently occupies the binding site on the bacterium. Think about it like tossing dust on a piece of scotch tape. The tape is still sticky, but it's stuck to the dust, and the dust isn't sticky, so it just slides around. In the end, especially for UTI's you wind up peeing out the bacterium. Particularly effective against E. Coli infections, not so sure about Staph, but a useful adjuvant to antibiotics nonetheless. Pretty good and very safe as a preventive for UTI's.

Rock on.