Author Topic: What clothing in B.O.B.?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
What clothing in B.O.B.?
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »
I am debating what clothing to pack in the latest incarnation of my Bug out kit and I would like to hear opinions.  Here is my debate, I have always packed two sets of good condition woodland BDU's that I had from the Army, however I am considering changing this. 

First I am considering going to non-military outdoors clothing that is more technically advanced, ie. Columbia, Patagonia, etc. for a few reasons.  The clothing will pack down tighter, it will dry and keep me warm or cool more efficiently, but I do not think that it will wear as well.  I am also considering moving to newer military issue clothing such as the ACU.

I would like to hear thought and ideas on what everyone packs and why.

Offline Hiram23

• Prepper
  • Montani Semper Liberi
Re: What clothing in B.O.B.?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
Before you develop an answer for this question, I think you need to consider where (and why) you will be travelling on foot to bug out. At the point that you are travelling to a BOL on foot, you are essentially a refugee. It is highly likely that you will need to interact with others as you travel, and if you have to interact with strangers your army surplus camo will draw undue attention and suspicion. Ironically, clothing designed for backpacking will be better camouflage in your interactions with the public.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
1st, I also like civilian clothing.  Blending in and not standing out are important to me.

Utility is the 2nd issue.  I have two pairs of clothing for each family member in my BOB's.  I go with long pants and long sleeves.  This clothing protects you from everything from ticks, excessive solar exposure (sun burns), to chemicals (in the event of a chemical attack).  Keep in mind that clothing offers little protection against most chemicals, but it is more protective than shorts and a tank top.  There are many times of the year where long sleeves and pants may seem too hot, but trust me, you don't want shorts and a tank top.  I have several pairs of outdoor khakis where the legs can unzip, if you really need a pair of shorts.

The second set is also long sleeves, and used as backup, in the event that your clothing gets wet, ,chemical exposure, or clothing becomes torn burnt  or otherwise unusable (temporarily or permanent).  As a side note, I also carry a very small sewing kit and have replace the thread with upholstery thread (thicker and more durable, but ugly :) )  and I carry a bottle of liquid seam.

Remember that clothing also includes head gear and gloves.  I always keep a bandanna and a ball cap with me and a pair of tight fitting mechanics gloves.

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
I lean towards the "hide in plain sight" option.  Military BDU's stick out like a sore thumb.  My consideration for the clothing requirements is simple.  This is a bug-out-bag, which I think is for a relatively short time use.  With that in mind I would rather have a change of skivvies and wool socks with an easily accessible rain suit that breathes well (Gore-Tex or eVent fabrics).  Perhaps some wool long underwear also.  This packs into a small volume and it keeps you warm and dry and doesn't stink like polypro.  A pack cover to help keep the contents dry.  I'm also looking into a hammock system with bug net and rain fly for sleeping off of the ground.  As to the color schemes for the above I'm considering flat neutral earth tones to blend into the background.  Nothing says here I am like some of the colors used in commercial gear.

Then, once I get to where I'm going the BDU's in Multi-Cam come out for improved concealment and durability.

Offline Kagetsu

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
I would also avoid current military uniforms because of the "authority" issue. Unless you want to be ask for assistance buy everyone.  Older Vietnam era camo may make you look like a,,, well, thinking of civilian media hype,,, a survivalist kook. That's unwanted attention. My area, camo really wouldn't help but I choose dark subdued colours. But I also carry some civil "authority" gear, red hard hat and patches for radio civil defense. It can sometimes be useful to look like part of the supporting personnel rather than a victim. A uniform can also move people out of your way even if it's not specific.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
Military BDU's/ACU's are great. . .for the military.

At least if they're in camoflage.  However, we include military BDU-style clothing in our kits in neutral colors.  Khaki, OD, and grey all are natural camoflages.  They blend in almost everywhere.  Plus, we have the durability and utility of the clothing.

We prefer the BDU style thanks to the buttons.  I'm Old School: I hate velcro.  What the wife does is removes all the pockets on a BDU top and moves them.  The larger pockets are moved to the same place that the smaller top pockets go and the top pockets are moved to the sleeves.  This allows us to tuck in the shirt and only looks slightly odd, but no more odd than many work shirts.

Baselayer tends to be Thorlo Socks, a sweat-wicking T-shirt and compression/sliding shorts.  Add in gloves, Sunglasses, a pair of boots and a hat, and there you go.

I might recommend that you consider your choice of clothing such as Patagonia, etc. very carefully.  Consider that you may want to weigh durability much more heavily than convenience or packability.  You can always buy a bigger pack.

As Woodsman stated Camo may actually DRAW unwanted attention.  Consider standing in line filling out forms while wearing a full set of camos.  Now, think of the same situation (or any other where you are interacting with other persons) and envision yourself in a pair of OD cargo pants and a khaki shirt with an OD or Khaki hat.  At worst, you'll look like a yuppie gardner  at best you'll look like everyone else.

And, if you have to shoot and scoot to survive, those colors will blend in quite well in the bush.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
In reality,..nature provides all the camo one would ever need...  Take a scene out of Robin Hood with Kevin Costner..  To enter the castle, he wore a brown cloak / robe, and then rubbed it down with 'natural material' before he got to the guards... 

If you really need camo,.. go grass and mud.  Just say you slipped and fell into it.. who would give it second thoughts?

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »
My BoB is a Get Home Bag. I have hiking boots, socks, pants, a fleece jacket, and winter shell. It's designed so I can ditch the dressy work clothes, and make the 25 mile hike to home if need be.

I'd look into Ex Officio brand gear. Reasonably stylish and outdoor ready. Pick colors that will be "earth-tone camo". I agree BDU's will stand out too much. I also wouldn't put too many clothes in there. Just extra weight.