Author Topic: Lesson learned... Modern Survivalists don't prep for "events"...  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday, and it will help solidify the concept in my mind by posting it here.  I'm sure others have gone through something similar to this, and maybe someone else will stumble across this post and gain something from it...

At the beginning of this year, I was going strong on prepping, educating myself, gaining skills, etc.  The economic downturn added fuel to my fire, and also got my wife into self-sufficiency and prepping (wohoo for the recession!!!   :D).  As summer approached, I was very busy studying for a major test (the DAT) and applying to dental schools.  I rocked the test, got all my application stuff under way, and my life calmed back down.  But my desire to pick up where I left off wasn't there.  At one point I thought, "Man - it's a good thing I didn't take a bunch of our savings and buy AR-15's and body armor!  That would have been bad!"  At another point I thought, "All that survival stuff was kind of silly.  What was I thinking?!"

Yesterday I downloaded a bunch of Jack's podcasts to try to get caught up from when I last listened to TSP.  I listened to Episode 264: "The Core Concepts of The Survival Podcast Community".  Like usual, Jack made some really good points that made realize where I went wrong.

Instead of doing things to improve my life "if times get tough, or even if they don't", I was only focusing on the "if they don't" part.  It's easy to get carried away with rumors swirling all about, and before you know it, you've started sprouting some tin on the top of your head.  Earlier this year, I was convinced that this fall (i.e., right now) there would be runs on the banks.  I was convinced that a Dow at 6000 would seem peachy compared to what it will be in the fall (i.e., right now).  I was spending too much time reading from websites who cite their sources as "a reader whose cousin knows someone whose brother works for DHS."  When fall came around, and the Dow was at 9500, and society was still intact, I felt pretty stupid.  I also felt like it was stupid for me to be spending so much time preparing for things that probably aren't going to happen.  I should "put my feet back on the ground and live in reality," I thought.  (I realize that the Dow probably isn't poised for a steady incline from here on out, but that's not the point).

The point is, I was preparing for an event.  (The bank runs and further collapse of the economy this fall).  What makes it worse is I "knew" the time the event was going to happen.  I should not be preparing for an "event", I should be working towards self-sufficiency.  I should put in a garden not because the collapse is coming this fall, but because I will eat healthier and decrease my dependence on the grocery store today (paraphrased from Episode 264).  There shouldn't be any fear in my preparations - I should be doing it to improve my quality of life today.  If I take this approach, I won't ever end up being one of those guys whose deadline for TEOTWAWKI comes and goes and then gives up on survivalism (paraphrased again).

If you ever start falling into this trap, listen to Episode 264.  It's a good one!         

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: Lesson learned... Modern Survivalists don't prep for "events"...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum Amerigo
Wow.
This is your second post and both of them have been great posts.
+1 from me.
I'm sure glad you're with us.
Besides, with the condition my teeth are in I need to be friends with as many people in the dental industry as possible!
 :D

sarahluker

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »
Hare, they look pretty good in your picture there. ;D

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Howdy, Amerigo!

It's like Alvin Toffler pointed out:  There are two words he never used in his writings: 'trend' and 'predict.'

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Amerigo, you bring up some really good points some of which I've wrestled with myself.  In some respects another might think anything that deviates from the normal suburban atmosphere is a candidate for the tinfoil hat brigade.  I've mentioned shooting and guns to one of my neighbors (good people) and his wife looked at me like I was nuts.  Her husband hunts too.  Sometime ago I started to look at a change in scenery not so much for asteroids hitting the earth or other issues but more for self sufficiency and getting away from the conformists.  However, since the election, rampant spending, and who knows what else will happen tomorrow it has added some emphasis to my getting ready to go sooner, rather than later.

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:39:20 PM »
WELL STATED!
B

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
It's always important to keep that "higher level" perspective. I went into my supplies today to get some clam chowder for my wife and I's lunch. Was it an emergency? Not at all...but it made us a lunch for $1 (plus toast) and kept us both happy. A happy wife and good lunch is worth more than a dollar!

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:33 AM »
It's always important to keep that "higher level" perspective. I went into my supplies today to get some clam chowder for my wife and I's lunch. Was it an emergency? Not at all...but it made us a lunch for $1 (plus toast) and kept us both happy. A happy wife and good lunch is worth more than a dollar!

Amen, brother. 

Just don't forget to replace it.  My wife and I have a rule, if we get in and use our preparedness supplies in a non-emergency situation, we double what we replace.  1 can of soup comes out, then two cans go back in.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
Amen, brother. 

Just don't forget to replace it.  My wife and I have a rule, if we get in and use our preparedness supplies in a non-emergency situation, we double what we replace.  1 can of soup comes out, then two cans go back in.

Quite interesting process - and not a bad on at that.